Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

sun conure biting

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

sun conure biting

Postby ashleyeharris » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:55 pm

My husband and I just got a sun conure and we are first time bird owners. He is about a year old and apparently wasnt treated like he should have been(we were told that the previous owners would hit the cage when he was loud). He has been with us for about 3 days and still doesnt seem like he has warmed up to us at all. We have tried giving him a treat and praising him to get him to trust us a little. We always talk to him in a soft voice. The first day i went to tell him to step up he bit me and i thought it was normal becuase he doesnt know me. He hadnt really been biting me since just nibleing and he doesnt bite or nible at my husband. But everytime we want to hold him and talk to him he just looks away and isnt interested and always wants to be on his cage.

He has always seemed to favor my husband over me but i didnt really notice it much until today he has been getting pretty aggresive with me. So i asked my husband to pick him up slowly and he did just fine. 5 minutes later i did the same thing and he bit me really hard. Now everytime i go to hold him he bites me and not my Husband, why is that and what can i do to prevent it? And is there other ways we can get him to trust us?
ashleyeharris
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure
Flight: No

Re: sun conure biting

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:23 pm

Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes