Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Honeymoon's over...

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Honeymoon's over...

Postby Mona » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:13 pm

Chris:

That sounds brilliant! You should post a photo.

Thx

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey
Flight: Yes

Postby Becco Lunatico » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:23 pm

Chris&Akilah wrote:
Mona wrote: Senegals are very smart, very focused little critters. If you can find one thing for them to obsess over, they will be pretty happy with that.

I did find that 'one thing!' I made her a foraginesg box out of an empty (unscented) tissue box...filled it with crumpled balls of paper, wooden toy parts, foot toys, nuts, seeds and other treats and stuff, Akilah absolutely loves rummaging through it and picking out her favourites. I add something new every day. It's on top her cage, and now, after we've had our "together time", she will take her ladder highway back to the box and keep herself busy for long periods :D. If I present her with a 'fresh' box I don't hear a peep out of her for hours. I am thrilled to bits, and look forward to coming up with other foraging activities.

So great to 'watch' a parrot owner feeling their way around their companions!
"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." ~Mark Twain
Becco Lunatico
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure, Three Budgies

Postby Jenny » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:20 pm

& we all get to learn from "watching" it, which is something I love about this forum. :)
Jenny
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus

Postby sherillynn » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:27 pm

As for foraging toys, I have found that is I get the paper bags with handles on them from shopping, I fill them with rolled up newspapers to shred. Hide some treats in them and hang them off the side of the cage, my Eclectus goes nuts. I also put strips of cotton fabric in and she throws them around and pulls them out of the bag. They only last about 3-4 hours but they are well worth the time it takes to make them up and hang.

Sherill :rainbow:
I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance that I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn.
Henry David Thoreau

sherillynn
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Blue and Gold Macaw, Eclectus, TAG
Flight: No

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training