Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

new bird

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

new bird

Postby cds83 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:27 pm

Hello everyone I was wandering if I could get some advise. Yesterday on Friday I brought my bird home she is the only bird I have she is around 2 years old and a Alexandrian parrot I was also told at the pet store I got her at she has not had a home, home yet so I am her first owner at home and I was wandering some stuff. 1. How long does it normally take a bird like this to adjust to there new home? 2. I seen a technique online called the Parrot power pause technique and when I try this she will start to shake and a couple of times has lunged and tried biting at my hand when my hand gets so close to her what is a good way to break her of doing this to where I can get her to step up on my hand and start creating a good bond with her? I would really love to create and have a great bond with my new girl she is beautifull. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie
cds83
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parrot
Flight: No

Re: new bird

Postby cds83 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:15 pm

Nice forum I'm starting to think why I joined this forum 20 views and no replies. I'm glad I joined a different one they actually reply to posts and want to help and give advice
cds83
Parakeet

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:30 pm

Wow Charlie. One day and you are giving up?
Give it some time, there are some really good people here.
Whatever you choose to do I wish you luck with your bird.
Dave
Dave
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: budgies
goffin
senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby cds83 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:42 pm

Its not that IV joined my fair share of forums in the past it just seems that when I post something on any forum no one ever replies but. Everyone else gets replies I need some advise on what to do with this bird I'm not someone the just half asses anything I like to do things the right way is I just got the crap bit out of me from trying a technique I found on the net all I'm trying to do is give this bird the attention and love that everyone at the store I got her from sayed she needs and would love
cds83
Parakeet

Postby Roger P » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:36 pm

Weekends are usually very slow on the forum, Charlie, so if I could suggest, give the members some time, and you will likely get several responses. There are a number of very knowlegable people on this forum who would be more than happy to help you, if you have some patience (which I know is hard because you want to get started).

I have no experience with Alexandrines, but the post from Michael at the top of the the taming and training section is a great place to start. I would suggest giving your bird at least a couple of days to get used to her new environment, as she is now in a new cage and in an entirely new home with new sights and sounds. Give her some time to get used to this and then start with figuring out a treat of some kind that she really likes. Then start by approaching the cage slowly and calmly, and bringing that treat with you. Get her used to your approach being a good thing. From there you could move on to target training while inside the cage. Once she is consistent with this you could get her to target train onto your hand.

Bottom line is, move at the bird's speed, not yours. If she is not comfortable with something, then you are likely to get a bite because she is scared or uncomfortable.

Welcome to the forum, hope you will stick around. If not, then good luck to you and your Fid. If you do decide to stick around, I am sure we will all try to help as much as we can.
Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure

Birds are a miracle because they prove to us there is a finer, simpler state of being which we may strive to attain.
Doug Coupland
Roger P
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Maroon Bellied Conure

Postby patdbunny » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:41 pm

If the bird's not tame, invest in Band-Aid stocks. You're going to get the crap bitten out of you a lot while you learn and figure out what works for your bird. It may take a long time. I don't believe any one way is the "right" way. Every bird's different. Different techniques work with different birds. Different techniques work for different people. You just have to read everything you can and see what works for you and works for you and the parrot. You're not going to get a few people posting an answer for you and that will be that.

Start reading:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3637
https://companionparrotonline.com/
http://www.goodbirdinc.com/
http://www3.upatsix.com/liz/
http://www.positivelyparrots.com/
http://www.parrothouse.com/pamelaclark/index.html

Then google and read some more.

Whatever you do, you cannot get angry or frustrated with the bird. Especially since it's two years old already, not tame, and you are it's first home.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:47 pm

ok then, first off I am no expert. There are those here who I believe are, and I am sure they will give you the support you are after in time. Also, while I have seen these birds, I have never owned one and any advice I may give would be what I obtained from others. So, I cannot provide specific advice on your bird.
In general however, I have been keeping birds for 30+years. I generally feed them my right index finger, which is covered in deep scars, and try not to show any pain or fear. Well, not always :)
Your bird does have an oversized powerful beak, if I remember right, and reading the bird is key.
Have you read through this:
http://trainedparrot.com/Taming/
I have read half a dozen or so sites recently in depth, and I think this site has the best information and is easy for me to follow and understand. I have low/no opinion of the "pay" sites. You can find the same information online for free as well as additional and better (imhop) insights and techniques.
Than being said, my experience has taught me patience, repetition, then repeat. The is no short cut, reading, learning and understanding are key, then do it all over again and again and again. I would begin by researching and learning all I could before I got a bird, but it is not necessarily a game stopper. It simply limits your options, and possibly the outcome or your training. With effort and following the lessons in the /Taming/ site, your situation will change. Maybe not is hours or days, but in the weeks to come.
Personally, none of my birds bite, all will let me hold them on their backs except one, etc. At one point though, I had a lovebird. It would let me hold it and would eat from my hand, but it was not happy about it. It never got any better with me. Now it lives with another lovebird at a friends home, and is as tame as a kitten. Why? I have no idea. Like I said, I am no expert.
Please try to be patient. I am confident your answers will come. In the meantime, Google is your friend.
Dave
Dave
Cockatiel

goffin
senegal

Postby cds83 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:09 pm

Well I thought everything was going good earlier she allowed my hand to get close enough to her to where if she wanted to bite be she could of so I gave her a treat and left the door open on her cage so she could come out if she wanted so she came out and went to the top of the cage and wandered around for a bit then she was trying to eat the wall I guess so I tried to get her and put her back in the cage and in the process she tried flying off the cage and didn't get to far and in the process of catching her she bit me pretty goo I hope I didn't freak her out enough to not trust me at all anymore do birds have short term memories? And is there a better way to catch her if this happens again besides just trying to grab her?
cds83
Parakeet

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:34 pm

Mine seem to remember quite a while, like in months if not years. Some people use a towel, or a net. I just use my hands and use the "we will make up later" approach. I plan on being bitten, so like I said earlier, I at least try to chose where the bite will occur. Thru the procedure, I use reasonably slow, deliberate movements, dont react to the bites or pain, talk soothingly, etc. Then once back inside, offer goodies once he is calm enough. I am working with my uncles sun conure sounds like yours. He is flighted, always bites, not handled in a good 6 years but LOVES peanuts. So I use peanuts, and am not suprised when I get bitten. Just expect it and dont react, figure they will quit in time if it doesnt get them the response they hope for.
Dave
Cockatiel

goffin
senegal

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:44 pm

I reread your post. I am not sure I would be getting him out of the cage just yet if this is going to happen. (my opinion) You might want to work on trust and routine. Be patient. I am thinking days. Maybe feed him thru the open cage door. Work on getting him to step up. Do you use a clicker? Teach him to step up, and trust you while in the cage, then it will seem more familiar to him when it comes time to be out. The step up command will help get him back on your finger and then back inside.
Always remember, birds know they are food. Dont chase him around, he will run, it is the way he is made. You need to be a comfort to him -- something he trusts to feed and protect him. That will take time. Check out the video of Michael's birds in the park. They look to him for protection. It is a good bonding technique. needless to say not NOW, but hopefully soon?
Dave
Dave
Cockatiel

goffin
senegal

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training