Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Playing on their backs

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Playing on their backs

Postby Strawfrawg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:50 pm

Marvin did something new today, and I'm curious who else's birds do it, too. He was tearing up a big piece of yucca and wasn't satisfied with using one foot to hold it, so he flipped over on his back and held it with both feet. I was pretty surprised! Of course the minute I went for my phone he stopped doing it before I could get a photo. Rats. Grrrrrrr.

Every day I hold him on his back a few times, for about a minute or so at a stretch, and he certainly doesn't mind it but I was shocked that he would choose to do it in play. Too funny. I'm curious to see if he repeats this.

Does your bird ever play on its back?
Marvin Beakman - DNA sexed male Senegal
Strawfrawg
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Playing on their backs

Postby cmaygar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:32 am

My WBC plays on his back all of the time and "surfs" on his back, which is a caique trait. My GCCs will also play with their foot toys on their backs occasionally. I have never seen my amazon play on his back.
cmaygar
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Amazon
Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
White Bellied Caique
Cape Parrot (Grey Headed)
Flight: No

Postby KimberlyAnn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:42 pm

All the time! I know she wants to play when she comes over, rolls on her back and waves her feet in the air with her mouth open and wings spread to balance. She also rolls over with toys in her feet or sleeps on her side or back. She's so funny!
My family: "Emmi" Green Cheek Conure (12/15/2012), One husband, two step kids, and one baby boy born in January 2015!
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:17 am

Baby conures are fed on their back by their parents so it's pretty common for them to do it but my sennies do it, too (my grandkids love it, I tell them I am going to rock my baby bird to sleep and put Zoey with her feet up in the air on my right hand which I rest on the crook of my left elbow and rocking my body, I sing the same lullaby I sing to them).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby cml » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:22 am

Stitch used to play on his back when he was younger, but its stopped now. Ive never seen Leroy on his back, ever. He's more the kind of "hanging upside down parrot"...
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby mrbowlerhat » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:15 pm

cml wrote:Stitch used to play on his back when he was younger, but its stopped now. Ive never seen Leroy on his back, ever. He's more the kind of "hanging upside down parrot"...

Whoa, I went to this topic and was literally about to write almost this exact sentence, but about how Miley used to do it when she was younger, and that I've never seen Alaska on her back, haha! :lol: (Oh and Alaska also likes to hang upside down.)
mrbowlerhat
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegals, Indian Ringnecks, Cockatiels

Postby marie83 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:41 am

Ollie will roll on his back on my stomach or chest then push himself upwards, almost like he is crawling (cant think how to describe it better) whilst still on his back :S
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby necserariah » Thu May 04, 2023 1:52 am

Your Ollie is so adorable! Minesweeper
necserariah
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0