Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

CAG Sexing help needed

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

CAG Sexing help needed

Postby ranasrule23 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:27 am

Hello.I have been told that the bird on the left is a male and the one on the right is a female based on the shape of the head.Can anyone confirm this ?

ranasrule23
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: IRN,Lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Re: CAG Sexing help needed

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:18 am

I've never heard of visually sexing grays by the shape of the head. As far as I know, females will have a thin grey edge to the tail undercoverts while males have completely red ones...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: CAG Sexing help needed

Postby Wolf » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:40 pm

There are several ways that people use to try to determine the sex of their Grey parrots in order to avoid the cost of a vet in testing the sex of their bird, But the truth is that the only way to be certain is to have them DNA sex tested.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Parrot Species