Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Amazons?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Amazons?

Postby Pacobel » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:34 pm

I think those are "pin" feathers - they still have the keratin sheath. Mine's in a molt right now, and grouchy - baths tend to help as it softens the sheaths and soothes the skin. My vet advised against the "molt" sprays that you can buy at pet stores. Occasionally Paco will let me help groom the ones on his head, but that's only after they've grown completely out and he just can't reach them to de-sheath them. :amazon: :amazon: :amazon: Molting - good times!!
Parrot has the unique ability of understanding and communicating with both the animal world and the human world. If you carry parrot medicine...your words are a reflection of your inner spirit. ----Excerpt from Animal Walk
Pacobel
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon
Flight: No

Postby Choco » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:26 pm

Pacobel wrote:I think those are "pin" feathers - they still have the keratin sheath. Mine's in a molt right now, and grouchy - baths tend to help as it softens the sheaths and soothes the skin. My vet advised against the "molt" sprays that you can buy at pet stores. Occasionally Paco will let me help groom the ones on his head, but that's only after they've grown completely out and he just can't reach them to de-sheath them. :amazon: :amazon: :amazon: Molting - good times!!

Thank you so much, just today i have started squeezing them and he actually seems relieved..we did'nt know what was happening until i found this site :amazon: some of them ''bust'' it seems like fairly easy and others he sqwawks at me so i just back off
Choco
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Blue-fronted amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby Choco » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:44 pm

Pacobel wrote:I think those are "pin" feathers - they still have the keratin sheath. Mine's in a molt right now, and grouchy - baths tend to help as it softens the sheaths and soothes the skin. My vet advised against the "molt" sprays that you can buy at pet stores. Occasionally Paco will let me help groom the ones on his head, but that's only after they've grown completely out and he just can't reach them to de-sheath them. :amazon: :amazon: :amazon: Molting - good times!!

how did you post a pic wont let me says my pics are too large tried to fix and cant..
Choco
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Blue-fronted amazon

Postby Pacobel » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:55 pm

Lots of cropping and resizing. Used Hornil's free photo editor program.
Parrot has the unique ability of understanding and communicating with both the animal world and the human world. If you carry parrot medicine...your words are a reflection of your inner spirit. ----Excerpt from Animal Walk
Pacobel
Parrotlet

Postby jayebird » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:52 am

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but since this is the kind of all threads about amazons...

Are they all right as "shoulder birds"? What I mean is: I've read that macaws, for instance, are large and temperamental enough that they are not safe to have riding around on your shoulder as adults or after the age of 10 years or so. The reason being that their beaks can permanently disfigure your face if you trip and they lose balance and grab with their beak, or get startled, or get aggressive at you or somebody else, etc etc. Amazons are also pretty strong birds and I'm wondering what people's opinions are of that?

My GCC sits on my shoulder while I'm on the internet, doing dishes, folding laundry, vacuuming, reading, whatever.....and I could never dream of owning a bird that I couldn't feel safe with him on my shoulder.
"Mango" ~ Green Cheek Conure
jayebird
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby MandyG » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:24 pm

I trust mine on my shoulder. I know I shouldn't, but I do. Amazons can be really bad for the "if you can't bite the one you want, bite the one you're with" thing and I do experience that on occassion when Mojo's getting mad at my husband. He'll nip me instead. They can be aggressive at times too. On the other hand you can have an Amazon that never bites you. It really depends on the bird and depends on whether or not you want to risk it. They can do a lot of damage very fast with a single bite if they really wanted to so the potential for permanent disfigurement is definitely there. Mojo has nipped my ear or my cheek a few times, but he never bites me very hard. If I move too fast for him he'll fly off of me instead of biting to gain his balance (another perk of having a flighted bird).

Bottom line I'd say accidents can happen, and in this case if they do your injuries are more likely to be severe. It comes down to the individual bird and your relationship with them for the most part I think.
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Pacobel » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:25 pm

I know that it's really discouraged, but I shoulder mine all the time. We've had some tiffs and I've ended up with some "parrot hickeys," but I'm as strong-willed as he is and if he starts up, I tell him to knock it off. Earlier in the relationship, it scared me a lot more, and I think he took advantage of that. My vet has supported my belief that it's about the relationship, and not a general "rule" about birds/the breed. I am prepared to get bitten, and to not back down or overreact. We have a blast - he goes to any store that doesn't prohibit animals, helps me work in the yard, visits friends, has gone to nursing homes and visited the homebound, and gone on road trips. I vote that you use your own judgment and use your comfort level as your guide.
Pacobel
Parrotlet

Postby Pacobel » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:28 pm

Mandy - so very glad to see your post. We are exactly of the same mind. I have gotten flack for shouldering Paco and just gone on my way. I suspect there's more of out there, but people have been so vocal about the "aggression," that we've gotten more quiet.

Rock on, Amazon shoulder-ers!! :amazon:
Pacobel
Parrotlet

Postby MandyG » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:51 pm

Pacobel, I'd definitely say we think the same in this area!

Pacobel wrote:We've had some tiffs and I've ended up with some "parrot hickeys," but I'm as strong-willed as he is and if he starts up, I tell him to knock it off.

I believe anyone that owns an Amazon should be very strong willed. I think that's why me and Mojo get along so well! They definitely can be hot tempered, but so am I so we really seem to understand eacher.

And I just noticed my avatar, clearly I allow my Amazon on my shoulder :lol:
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby captwest » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:31 pm

Think i'll tip-toe around this one.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species