Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My new quaker!

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

My new quaker!

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:15 am

Here he is (I don't know for sure if it's a he but he has a 'boy's' face to me):

As you can see, my husband is as bad as I am taking pictures!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: My new quaker!

Postby Chai » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:22 pm

Pajarita he is beautiful! What a lovely little bird.
Chai
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: White-fronted Amazon, 2 African Greys

Re: My new quaker!

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:26 am

Yes, he is beautiful but aren't they all? Thing is, this bird was not socialized or weaned correctly because, so far, he hasn't eaten any produce whatsoever (not even the fruits his previous owner says he likes) or even nuts, only seeds and, thankfully, the gloop - although I doubt he is eating much of the veggies in it. The diet is no problem because I am used to having to switch them from just seeds to a good fresh, food diet - but the lack of socialization is a problem. He is afraid of people and that kills me. Not because I mind the extra work or time it will take to get him to a good place but because it's hard on the poor thing and so very unnecessary! It is so very easy to properly socialize a baby bird and not doing it is such a huge disservice to them! For one thing, it means that he will have to stay in his cage for much longer (and I HATE that!) and, for another, because it's soooo lonely for them! I just ordered him a new cage (the one he is now using is clean, roomy and still very serviceable but it is an 'emergency' one) and, when it arrives, I will put it next to Keku Quaker's so, at least, he has a neighbor he can identify and chat with (he has started vocalizing). I see him watching me with interest when I interact with the other birds, especially with Keku who is always on me or asking for/giving me kisses (quakers are, I think, one of the most affectionate species - but I am biased :D ), so I am hoping he will learn to trust me soon.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Species