Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I Was Just Wondering!!!!!!

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

I Was Just Wondering!!!!!!

Postby lovebirdlover » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:53 pm

I was just wondering if a lovebird would be a good bird for me because I just saw a post that the person wanted people to tell her wich is better a(macaw or african grey). And neither was better they are both challenging breeds from what I've seen. And my friend has a sun conure, another conure i dont know the name of it, a bird like kili i think its a senegal,and a pair of lovebirds blackmasked and i am going to get one in the next cluch so i was just wonder if that would be a good parrot to begin with. But i am learning with all her birds by feeding them and handling them. :swaying:

:lovebird: thanks Anthony
bluemaskedlovebirds
lovebirdlover
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird
Flight: Yes

Re: I Was Just Wondering!!!!!!

Postby Nathaniel » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:14 pm

I guess as long as you provide for it, research as much as possible, and take good care for it, yeah go for it.
"There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory."
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Male Red-Bellied Parrot

Postby lovebirdlover » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:00 pm

thanks for responding i will make sure i will take care of it

:thumbsup:

anthony
bluemaskedlovebirds
lovebirdlover
Lovebird

Postby Nathaniel » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:26 pm

Well good luck. :D :thumbsup:
"There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory."
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Male Red-Bellied Parrot

Postby skeetersunconure » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:52 am

i have a sunconure they are great birdies! but whatever bird you get make sure you dont have a dead set mind on one particular breed because you might see one that steals your heart thats what happened to me :D good luck!!!!
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby lovebirdlover » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:12 am

bluemaskedlovebirds
lovebirdlover
Lovebird

Postby skcopland » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi!

I had lovebirds when I was growing up... and they were a lot of fun!

My mom, who had bought them, didn't know much about birds, and I don't think our pair had been and raised or anything, but they were quiet in comparison to our cockatiels, and we could still have them sit on our fingers and shoulders.

My two were very happy as a pair - I'm not sure how they do as single birds, but I figure if they are socialized enough they'd be just as happy. But a pair is something to consider if possible, they are just so cute cuddled up with one another! My little lovies also didn't require an enormous cage... they weren't particularly active, but that may differ from bird to bird, but I'm sure your friend knows more about that than I do.

It must be fun for you to be able to get a bird from a friend too, so that you can watch it grow every step of the way. Good luck!
skcopland
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Brown headed parrot
Flight: No

Postby myakando » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:14 pm

The main thing is that you really need to do research on them to see if this species is what you're looking for. Research, research, research!!! How long have you been contemplating getting a lovebird? What other birds, if any, are on your list of choices? I'm not trying to discourage you by any means but it kinda sounds like you're thinking about getting this little bird on a whim. I get a feeling there hasn't been much thought behind this..... and forgive me if I'm wrong but it's just what it sounds like. I personally have four of these little guys and I love all of mine to pieces! They have so much personality and they're so much fun to have around. This said, just because they're small, it doesn't mean they don't need (or don't deserve) the same amount of attention and excellent care the bigger guys do. They have the same feelings, personality and require out of cage and one on one time as the big guys do. IF, and only if, you've been thinking about acquiring a lovie, yeah, go for it but again, they're not to be considered as a *starter bird* just because it's a lovebird. Good luck to you ;)
myakando
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo, Goffin's cockatoo, Severe macaw, Red Fronted macaw, Peachfaced lovebirds, Fisher's lovebirds and cockatiels

Postby lovebirdlover » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:34 am

Well i dont want to get a pair because i want he/she to bond to me. Also it might be easier if have one so i can put most of my time into training it. And if one flies out of site in my house then i have to put the other one in the cage so it doesnt fly out of site when i get the other one. But i was considering it. And i have been think about getting a lovebird for 9 months . And im not in a hurry because I have to wait for the parents to have the eggs and for then to be old enough to keep but I also got to find out whats the best food for them so im in no rush . I got a couple chances to handle and feed my friends birds. I didnt want it so sound like i was rushing .

Thanks Anthony
bluemaskedlovebirds
lovebirdlover
Lovebird

Postby Mr.Darcy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:57 pm

We had a love bird, she was hand fed and the most awesome bird ever! She used to fly up to the tub when the kids were little and we would wet a washcloth along the edge so she could walk along. She would follow my husband up to the shower and stand on the top edge to get the spray off his head. My youngest son was only 2 when we got her and she was so tame he could grab her and kiss her and put her in her cage! She was great. When she died I got a replacement lovebird, not hand raised and very aggresive, bit my sons lip attacked the dog...we went on holidays and left her with the babysitter....never took her back. (They loved her) :swaying:
just make sure it is a young hand fed baby and you will have many wonderful years. Do your research.

Marlies :macaw3:
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

Next

Return to Parrot Species