Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Indian Ringneck (pics + need some advice)

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

New Indian Ringneck (pics + need some advice)

Postby Jen144 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:43 pm

Hi all
I just got my first Ringneck on Tuesday (4 days ago). He is a beautiful Grey IRN, apparently 4 and 1/2 months old but we're not sure. Can anyone confirm his age please?

Also, he is aviary-bred and I am trying to tame him. Everything people have said and I have read say that trying to tame an aviary raised IRN from even 4 and 1/2 months old will be veery hard and take a long time..However, in the 4 days I've had him, he now eats his favourite treat (peas) from between my fingers inside the cage!!

That's as far as I've gone so far, got to get him used to that before starting to teach him to step up. Is it that he is in a new environment and so is unconfident, and that's why he's eating from my hands already wen I thought it would be a million times harder? It's not like I'm forcing him AT ALL, I mean, I hold a pea near a different perch to the one he's on (actually a perch that is closer to me, even) so he has to walk over and take it. And he does!

Or have I just gotten lucky with a very easy to tame bird?

Also, considering he is 4.5 months old, I will probably have to go through the whole bluffing stage I've heard so much about in a couple months..I've heard a lot of conflicting advice about that...Say 'no' and push into the bite when he bites you, don't use your voice as punishment and just don't react and wait for him to stop, gently grab his beak, blow on his beak, distract him before he can bite you...What do I do there? (would very much like to know in advance!)

Anyway, any opinions on his age and tameness or anything else would be wonderful. Thank you!
Jen144
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 26
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Galahs
Flight: Yes

Re: New Indian Ringneck (pics + need some advice)

Postby Azure Hanyo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:58 pm

Well there is no way to tell you EXACTLY how old he is by a picture, but he is young because he doesn't have his adult plumage. So that's a plus. Also, some birds just tame easier, and the younger they are, generally, the easier they are to tame. :D

And if he bites, what I do with my caique is to gently push into the bite and tell her "no" and she stops. This does NOT work with all birds, and in fact makes some bite harder. Just do what works best with your bird. There are great resources under the taming/basic training tab... I will find a few links for you.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Re: New Indian Ringneck (pics + need some advice)

Postby Azure Hanyo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:00 pm

Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Return to Parrot Species