Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What parrots can't scream?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

What parrots can't scream?

Postby sayshell » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:00 am

I really want a bird I can carry with me 24/7 everywhere I go. However screaming is by far the biggest issue ever. I would rather it bite me really hard than have a bird that screams on rare occasion because skin heals, hearing damage doesn't. If I am far from home their is nothing I can do. If the bird gets scared their is no possible way I can make it shut up without hurting it. I guess on the bigger birds you can grab their beaks shut.
I have a sun conure and it is wayyy too loud to ever take outside, I have a lineolated parakeet and it is also wayyy to loud and makes my ears ring its so loud and these are supposed to be quiet parrots and I bought it 100% because every source I found said they are quiet and the owner said it was quiet yet it is loud enough to permenately damage my hearing. I don't care if its quiet 99.9% of the time if it screams once every 20 days I don't want it, I want one that can't scream no matter what or its scream is not loud enough to damage my hearing/startle me. Being startled causes me to loose balance or drop objects such as boiling pots of water and fall on a staircase, and if the bird is playing in my hair which it always is it can't fly away and will likely be killed.
I was thinking the following are a good choice
afrian grey even though they can scream I think they are smart enough to be trained not to and can express fear verbally. They are said to have the intelligence of a 3-5 year old and you can very easily teach a 3-5 year old not to scream.

boruke parakeet. I hear they are quiet, but they don't live long. Quiet as in linnie quiet or quiet as in their loudest possible noise is actually soft?

budgie: I owned and it died of age and it made tons of noise but its scream wasn't loud enough to damage my hearing or surprise me.
they also live too short.

cockatiel: People say they make lots of noise but can't make ear splitting sounds. True or false?
they also die too soon

ficnhes/canaries: they are quiet but not affectionate pets
they also die too easily
doves: They can't scream true or false?

Every other good bird is illegal, you can't buy geese, swans, or ravens.
Is their any other birds that are decent pets that are not physically capable of loudly screaming, or mentally capable or never doing it ever under any circumstance.
sayshell
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Sun conure, lineolated parakeet, bugie
Flight: Yes

Re: What parrots can't scream?

Postby GlassOnion » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:47 am

First of all, grabbing a bird's shut is an awful idea- they don't react to punishment like dogs do. They will fear you and hate you in the worst case scenario.

Secondly, sun conures have one of the MOST ear piercing shrill screams in the parrot family and the entire world of aviculture knows that. Did you say you researched and you still thought they were quiet? Clearly you have not researched at all, I suggest you befriend google for your next research.

African greys are capable of screaming at an ear blistering level and they will do so many times in their lifetime- please don't think you can train one to be mute in screams. Birds naturally scream, it's a nature that will not disappear. You cannot successfully teach a 3yr old human child to permanently erase an annoying habit, so the greys' relative intelligence to them will not promise you a trained non screaming bird.

Another thing I wanted to mention is that it is a dangerous idea to have a bird on you 24/7. It will have no sense of independence or to play by itself. If you ever need to leave it for day, it will be stressed and anxious. What about when it becomes hormonal? It will think of you as a mate and potentially attack you or people around you in defense. Socializing is one thing, having a bird attached to you is very unhealthy.

Parrotlets physically cannot scream, but they will beep fairly loud and annoyingly. They have a lifespan similar to that of a cockatiel. Every other parrot out there will scream in your face. If you really want a quiet pet, looking into a cat may be a nice option.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:08 am

I agree with everything GlassOnion just said. You can not teach a three year old child not to cry, it is an emotion, you can not just get rid of it so you can not teach a parrot not to scream. what do you expect it to do when it is scared or startled? it can not just tell you...
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Rosella

Postby kaylayuh » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:30 am

I really hate to say this, but I don't think a parrot is the proper pet for you. Birds scream, it's in their nature. They scream for dozens of reasons. Every bird I've ever been around has been a screamer, though the extent and the volume varies. My budgies scream throughout the day and they occasionally get extremely loud for how small they actually are.

As GlassOnion said, holding a bird's beak shut is an awful idea. Even holding the snout of a dog or cat shut is a terrible idea. My gut reaction is to say that holding any animal's mouth area shut to prevent noise is an abusive situation. Even though you may not hurt them, it's still reinforcing a pattern of behavior that will make a bird (and probably any other animal) hate you.

If you want a silent pet, your best bet would probably be a rodent, snake, or some really nice fish. Aside from the fact that you can't take them everywhere with you, they're really the only types of housepets that don't make any noise ever.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby coral » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Sun conures are one of the loudest parrots.. and i dont think you should have a bird all of them can get loud and it seems like you dont have a lot of patience which is needed with birds. you shouldnt try to carry it around with you all the time thats a bad idea if you want something you can carry with you and isnt so loud get a tiny dog in a purse.
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. <3
coral
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: zebra finches, society finches, spice finches, and a blue headed pionus parrot
Flight: No

Postby patdbunny » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Q: What parrots can't scream?
A: A dead one.

You CANNOT teach a bird (including african grey) not to scream. They must vocalize at a minimum at dusk and dawn.

Trying to teach it not to scream is like trying to teach a human not to talk.

Here's an experiment for you - You spend the next two weeks not talking at your normal tone of voice. You can whisper like you're in a library, but you cannot speak at your normal volume.

Another experiment - If you have family members, pick one of them (preferably your spouse or significant other) and "teach" them not to talk for two weeks. They can whisper, but cannot speak at a normal volume.

Get a rat - they're snuggly and smart and don't make any noise. I used to have a shoulder rat that I'd take everywhere with me.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.

Postby sayshell » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:02 pm

did a single person even read what I wrote? I know sun conures are loud and was well aware when I bought it, I said I bought a linnie because it was supposed to be quiet not a sun conure...
I don't know how you can confuse that I explicitly stated I bought the linnie because its quiet and because I did tons of research and everyone said they are quiet which is also not true. A neglected linnie is quiet, if you give them attention they sing and talk all day they are extremely noisy.
If it becomes totally dependent on me that is good because I really can take it everywhere all the time as long as it doesn't scream because then I can't bring it to public places.

Next off I said I have no problem whatsoever with birds being noisy, I have a problem with high pitched screams that permanently damage my hearing. I want a super vocal hyper bird that is jumping and chirping all day long I don't care if it screams either as long as its soft enough that it doesn't hurt my hearing. If I have to wear ear plugs I can't hear people talk and stuff and it makes more of a problem. I have no problem buying a bird that isn't a parrot, but virtually all of them are illegal except a dove. Ideally I want a goose or raven.
sayshell
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Sun conure, lineolated parakeet, bugie

Postby Margaret » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:37 pm

Okay, I understand you. You don't tolerate loud noise- I'm the same.
So far I put up with 4 budgies in the one time and I was thinking for a long time about Cockatiel or Linnie. I chosen tiel- no complains so far.
One of my budgies died last year- It's hard, but it's not a reason to not choose another the same bird. We don't choose how long our pets will be living and the best to longer their lives we can give them good care/diet, etc.

I think I have something to cover all your criteria:

You really can carry this bird with you 24/7 everywhere youI go.
You don't have to hurt it to shut it up.
It will be living as long as you want him/her to- depending on your care.
You will have one that can't scream no matter what or its scream is not loud enough to damage your hearing
This bird bird is legal, have many colors, you can easy shut it off/on depending from your humor.

That's my real advice:

Margaret
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Cockatiel

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:07 pm

Yeah, I think the parrot from that Monty Python skit is about the only one that can't scream. Screaming is natural and pretty much part of the deal, the only variables are the volume and the tone... and to some extent the frequency of occurrence.

What will happen to the birds you already own if you get another one?

Can you afford to provide proper care for a flock that large?

I also think it may sound feasible to keep your bird with you 24/7 but even if it were possible -- and there are plenty of places you can't take even a very quiet bird -- I think it wouldn't be desirable. People need a chance to be people and birds probably can use a chance to be birds. Even if your daily routine allowed for it and you don't mind having your feathered companion share your bathroom moments as well as your dates -- what about dental appointments? Suppose you are hospitalized or need to visit someone who is? What if you are invited to a wedding? Or get a job that won't allow it? A lot can happen in the lifespan of a parrot, even a very small one. Every second of every day for 15-20-40-80 years is a lot of time, and as much as we might like to control every moment of our lives, it rarely works out that way.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby patdbunny » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:14 pm

Where are you that geese and swans are illegal?

If you're in the US, pied crows are legal: http://www.softbillsforsale.com/sale/pied-crow.asp

I did read your original post and I understood it. I just can't understand why someone who can't stand the noise would want an animal that's known to be vocal - Birds - all birds are vocal.

Really, get a rat - they can be a constant companion and sit on your shoulder everywhere and they don't scream... or an Ex-Parrot
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.

Next

Return to Parrot Species