Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Input Needed on New Addition! :)

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Input Needed on New Addition! :)

Postby Natacha » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:42 pm

kcbee wrote:
Julsiebean wrote:Have you looked into Quaker Parrots? They are sweet, silly, amusing, very talkative, and beautiful birds! I've been around LOUD ones, and quiet ones. Mine is quiet (for a parrot!). My male cockatiel was far louder. She isn't messy either, which was a nice surprise. They do get a a bit bossy sometimes, but no more then any other bird I've met. Mine is a big green love bug, I can't imagine life without her!

It's funny you mention quakers. When I was little, I had two cockatiels. When I went to pick them out, the breeder had a baby quaker parrot I held. I instantly fell in love, but I was too young to care for that type of bird. Ever since then I've had the idea of a quaker parrot in my head. And that was the first parrot I thought of when I knew I wanted another one. But then after doing some research, I got scared away! Everything I read talked about how loud, loud, loud and bossy they are!

But now you saying yours is quiet, makes me think about quakers again!

Too many choices! haha

The quakers would't be bigger than a Meyer's - longer tail yes, but body size no.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby kcbee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:51 pm

Natacha wrote:
kcbee wrote:
Julsiebean wrote:Have you looked into Quaker Parrots? They are sweet, silly, amusing, very talkative, and beautiful birds! I've been around LOUD ones, and quiet ones. Mine is quiet (for a parrot!). My male cockatiel was far louder. She isn't messy either, which was a nice surprise. They do get a a bit bossy sometimes, but no more then any other bird I've met. Mine is a big green love bug, I can't imagine life without her!

It's funny you mention quakers. When I was little, I had two cockatiels. When I went to pick them out, the breeder had a baby quaker parrot I held. I instantly fell in love, but I was too young to care for that type of bird. Ever since then I've had the idea of a quaker parrot in my head. And that was the first parrot I thought of when I knew I wanted another one. But then after doing some research, I got scared away! Everything I read talked about how loud, loud, loud and bossy they are!

But now you saying yours is quiet, makes me think about quakers again!

Too many choices! haha

The quakers would't be bigger than a Meyer's - longer tail yes, but body size no.

That's very true.

Agh! I feel overwhelmed. It's stressful trying to pick out the perfect bird for us since it is such a long-term commitment. There's just too much choice! :shock:
kcbee
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Parrotlet, Budgie

Postby Julsiebean » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:28 pm

When I came home with Juniper my Quaker, I was actually waiting to hear back from a breeder about placing a deposit on a green cheek conure, I had my guy picked out, and waiting to hear he was available to put the check in the mail. Excited I went shopping at my local bird store (great store!) and fell in love with Juniper. Spent hours with her, got a Quaker crash course from the ladies there and came home with her! I always thought quakers weren't for me. I had read all the bad stuff about quakers and never gave them a second thought! I love that she is sweet and happy to hang out with me, but not velcro like the jenday I used to have. She is playful and chatty without being overly loud or highstrung, she is the best of both worlds for our household.

I do love conures though, and am seriously debating a green cheek. I've been offered a lovebird, so I just don't know what to do yet.
Julsiebean
Conure

Flight: No

Postby kcbee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Throwing a new one in here - Hahns macaw! Anyone have experience with these birds? I'm doing online research as a type this....
kcbee
Parrotlet

Postby GlassOnion » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:43 pm

I don't have personal experience but hahnsies are known for being nippy and quite aggressive when they want to be. I have read that these birds are not the ones to let freely roam around open cage, and that they need strict discipline and training from early on. I think you'll run into the same problems as you said you worry with a caique.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby GlassOnion » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:48 pm

What about a timneh grey or a black wing / greater jardine's?

Jardine's are called the 'African Amazons' without the hormonal aggression and noise.
They are quite the bold birds and slightly smaller than a cape. I recommend you the blackwing and the greater jardine's because the are known to be much less nippy than the lesser jardine's.
Also, extremely beautiful. I met one in person last week and he was perfection in my eyes. :)
GlassOnion
African Grey

Postby kcbee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:52 pm

GlassOnion wrote:What about a timneh grey or a black wing / greater jardine's?

Jardine's are called the 'African Amazons' without the hormonal aggression and noise.
They are quite the bold birds and slightly smaller than a cape. I recommend you the blackwing and the greater jardine's because the are known to be much less nippy than the lesser jardine's.
Also, extremely beautiful. I met one in person last week and he was perfection in my eyes. :)

I have thought about the timneh grey, because my fiance would love a Congo African Grey, but definitely cannot care for a bird like that. My issue would be finding a breeder close by. Are they not as fragile, shy, etc. as Congo's?

My breeder recommended a jardine to me, but then I read about how aggressive they can be, so I got a bit put off. But I will do more research into the blackwing jardine.

Thank you for the ideas!! I really appreciate you taking the time!
kcbee
Parrotlet

Postby GlassOnion » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:02 pm

:)

Timnehs are more carefree as opposed to their often neurotic cousins. Not much of a plucking issue going on either. It is said that timnehs tend to do better in a family setting.

The lesser jardine's are known to be very nippy at times, and I know a few breeders who have personally said the blackwings/greaters are much superior. One breeder said that the greater j's are similar to the capes in attitude and chillness.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Postby kcbee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:12 pm

GlassOnion wrote::)

Timnehs are more carefree as opposed to their often neurotic cousins. Not much of a plucking issue going on either. It is said that timnehs tend to do better in a family setting.

The lesser jardine's are known to be very nippy at times, and I know a few breeders who have personally said the blackwings/greaters are much superior. One breeder said that the greater j's are similar to the capes in attitude and chillness.

Thanks so much. Google here I come! :)
kcbee
Parrotlet

Postby coral » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:17 pm

He can be reserved but he's really outgoing I think part of some shyness around new toys is he doesn't know how to play but with people and animals and me especially he's very outgoing their really great birds after I got one I saw a white capped at the pet store sweetest little girl ever. You should look in to them :)
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. <3
coral
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: zebra finches, society finches, spice finches, and a blue headed pionus parrot
Flight: No

Previous

Return to Parrot Species