Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Taming an untame lovebird*UPDATE

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Taming an untame lovebird*UPDATE

Postby Julsiebean » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:55 pm

Recently I have been offered the chance to have a lovebird, sex unknown, about two years old. Untame. That is the part that scares me. I was never able to tame my cockatiel, and while I'm all for giving this bird a new home, I want reasonable expectations for taming a lovebird. I've read it is nearly impossible. Anyone ever had any luck with taming a lovebird?

This afternoon I met the lady and took the lovebird. Wow, she is BEAUTIFUL!! I took her straight to be checked out. Very healthy, female, and they suspected she may lay an egg soon so I have her on pro vida food. She is very curious, and very chatty! She "flew" right to me when I opened her cage, she can catch some serious height despite being trimmed! She is still shy and skiddish but her curiousity wins and she checks me out. I think we will be besties in no time. <3 We have named her Kokomo, she looks like a whole bag of tropical skittles on one bird! SO pretty!
Last edited by Julsiebean on Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julsiebean
Conure

Flight: No

Re: Taming an untame lovebird?

Postby kcbee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:58 pm

I do not have any experience, but I have read with adult lovebirds it is nearly impossible to tame them.

I'm sure someone who knows will chime in!!
kcbee
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Parrotlet, Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Taming an untame lovebird?

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:25 pm

I don't know the specifics of lovebirds, but I do about how the training process works.

http://TrainedParrot.com/Taming

This method worked for me for 4 different birds one of which was a budgie that was supposedly tame but wasn't. Now of course for an older bird this can all take longer but never say never. I'm sure the taming can be done over a longer term in the cage with clicker and target training going on. It could take a year before the bird steps up for you or it could take two days, I don't know. But I'm pretty sure the same methods would work.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Species