Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Ive been watching all these videos on youtube of macaws.

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Ive been watching all these videos on youtube of macaws.

Postby hannahbird » Tue May 10, 2011 7:21 pm

And they just make my heart melt! All I need is a couple thousand dollars. Ha.
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.
hannahbird
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Flight: Yes

Re: Ive been watching all these videos on youtube of macaws.

Postby Giantmoa » Tue May 10, 2011 7:41 pm

I know a completely neurotic, plucked scarlet macaw who is hilarious. She is creepily good at chuckling and laughs along at the most oppurtune moments. Her life is pretty good now and she's got people around her all day so she's been opening up more and more. I absolutely do not want any of the large macaws though. Not my kind of bird, even if they're fascinating. A little hahns macaw, on the other hand... way too cute
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Postby hannahbird » Tue May 10, 2011 7:46 pm

Haha aw man she sounds cute! I dont know, I've always wanted a blue and gold macaw! One day! *sigh* haha.
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.
hannahbird
Cockatiel

Postby captwest » Tue May 10, 2011 8:04 pm

hannahbird wrote:I've always wanted a blue and gold macaw!

That's because you haven't met a Scarlet or a Green Wing, but your fixin too.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Postby hannahbird » Tue May 10, 2011 8:12 pm

I heard that b&g macaws were the best natured, is that true?

And I know! I am excited about that. I am counting down the days till I move! :danicing:
hannahbird
Cockatiel

Postby kaylayuh » Tue May 10, 2011 8:25 pm

My favorite Macaws are the Military Macaws. I've never really seen the excitement over the Blue & Gold or the Scarlet.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby Lokums » Tue May 10, 2011 10:46 pm

B&Gs are the bestest! Although I have one, so I am biased. :) But overall I think if you keep them healthy, happy and socialized, the species doesn't matter so much. Loki's personality is pretty cool, very strong willed, playful, and resilient (to my mistakes as a 'parent', and changes to his environment). You aren't kidding about the $$ either, especially the initial cost (including cage, toys etc). One of his things is if you making kissing noises to him, he will whisper "kissy kissy" (if he wants to of course :).

Mike
Lokums
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: B&G, Senegal

Postby hannahbird » Tue May 10, 2011 11:08 pm

You have a b&g? So lucky! I am working on getting one. Or a camelot macaw. But I really want a b&g. Where can I find second hand cages?? And should I try to find one at a rescue first or get a baby from a breeder? *sigh*
hannahbird
Cockatiel

Postby Zanizaila » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:28 am

Kind of old thread, but anyway. I just (one month ago) got myself a barely three year old Scarlet rehome. The bird and his cage cost me 20.000 SEK (~$3200), and that was cheap since Scarlets are very rare here in Sweden and the cage is very big (by normal standards at least) and completely new. ;) (Just noticed I know you from Avian Avenue, I'm Nìmwey over there.)

The cage is somewhat better furnished now, than when the picture was taken.

I would go for a rehome, since I would never ever buy from a breeder again. Actually, I wrote an entire article on the subject (took me 6 hours) yesterday - but it's in swedish. Anyone know where I can post my articles in english instead? Perhaps I can make a thread? :)

As for the rest, I've of course already written my reply here: http://forums.avianavenue.com/macaw-mot ... post805997
Proud slave of Saga and Cirino, and missing Yondo and Egon.
...and there is a world difference between supporting aviculture and supporting birds. - Greg Glendell
Zanizaila
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Meyers Parrot, Scarlet Macaw

Postby MandyG » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:24 pm

Yikes, is that cage in your house?!? I think that's the biggest personally owned cage I've ever seen! What a lucky Macaw! It's like having a decent sized aviary to live in every day!

Personally, I really love the Green Wing Macaws. That's one of my dream birds. I've heard that they are much sweeter natured than some of the other macaws. I don't have any hands on experience with Macaws (besides pet stores and visiting some in Costa Rica and Puerto Roco) so I can't say for myself if that's true or not.
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Next

Return to Parrot Species