Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

which species has the most irritating call?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

what parrot has the most annoying call?

cockatoos
27%
conures
37%
amazons
3%
poicephalus
No votes
macaws
17%
eclectus
7%
lory/lorikeets
No votes
caiques
7%
lovebirds/parrotlets
3%
parakeets
No votes

Total votes : 30

which species has the most irritating call?

Postby Giantmoa » Tue May 10, 2011 8:02 pm

whether because of volume, pitch, or frequency, which parrot's daily noises would drive you nuts if you lived with them?
I realize some of the options I put are quite broad, but you can specify if it is a a particular species, etc. in the comments.
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Re: which species has the most irritating call?

Postby kaylayuh » Tue May 10, 2011 8:05 pm

The pitch and tonal qualities of Aratinga Conures drives me absolutely bonkers. Seeing as how I have a Pyrrhura Conure and budgies, I'm not too bothered by them. Cockatoos also don't usually bother me. I've never heard most of the others to pass judgment.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Giantmoa » Tue May 10, 2011 8:18 pm

I feel like you can get used to anything. I used to find conure calls irritating but now I barely notice them, even the aratingas I'm around. My friend's tiel on the other hand has just the right sound and pitch to be just the slightest bit annoying even though when I had a cockatiel for years it wasn't bothersome at all. I nolonger jump when I hear the macaw at work suddenly scream, at least, and I'm slowly getting over the shock of the sheer volume a cockatoo can produce right in your ear. Some birds, like amazons, are loud but aren't shrieky loud so I don't mind them either.
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Postby kaylayuh » Tue May 10, 2011 8:23 pm

People with Bipolar Disorder often have sensory sensitivities, particularly to sounds. If I'm even the slightest bit off on a particular day, I find I'm much more sensitive to certain sounds, particularly if I want to just be in bed and Cheney Bird is "EE EE EE"ing.

Even on good days, I've noticed I'm particularly sensitive to Sun conures. I've been around them a couple of times and have always wanted one until I heard them scream. To me, it was just like nails on a chalkboard. It was so awful that my skin was crawling.

Oddly enough, they've been the only birds so far to make me feel that way. I don't know what it was about their call in particular, but it just did something to me. Even when I'm in a particularly foul mood, I've never felt that way with any of my three birds.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby Michael » Tue May 10, 2011 8:46 pm

Definitely Conures. They're calls are just so loud, shrill and piercing. Everything about them is plain annoying.

I could almost say I like the way my Pois sound if they didn't do it so damn much! But you can imagine that I almost strangled Kili when she picked up Conure shreiking from the bird store. I am SOOOOO relieved that she forgot how to do it since but I don't take her back there now.

I would have voted Cockatoos too but it's their screaming I can't stand rather than their contact calls. I'm not sure if you meant all inclusive by calls or specifically their voices. Cockatoo screaming seems different from calling cause it is a learned nuisance behavior right? I don't think they use it to communicate with each other but just to let off steam. That may be worse than Conures just based on shear volume.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby GlassOnion » Tue May 10, 2011 9:00 pm

What's wrong with aratinga screeches? I actually like the sound of them.. It makes me feel like I'm in the middle of an exotic rainforest. :)
GlassOnion
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby Michael » Tue May 10, 2011 9:05 pm

Would you want to live in the rain forest 24/7?
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby GlassOnion » Tue May 10, 2011 9:09 pm

Well, as long as the bird didn't make me feel like I'm in a rainforest ALL day..
GlassOnion
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby zazanomore » Tue May 10, 2011 9:24 pm

Quakers. I had one scream in my ear once, turned me off them completely.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Tue May 10, 2011 11:44 pm

I think I'm just used to the fact that bird make loud noises. There are some noises that our Princess Parrot makes that get frustrating, think of a high pitched truck reversing, but that's not one of his Princess Parrot noises, it's a learn noise, infact I don't even know what noise a Princess Parrot makes!! He does an awesome Cocky screech too, I love it, mum doesn't. Our Conure's could be sitting in my lap screaming their heads off while I watch a movie and I don't even notice it anymore. Tiel's yelling don't bother me either, our Lories never bothered me, Red Wing doesn't bother me. Dunno.
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot