Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help....Which Poi To Purchase?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Help....Which Poi To Purchase?

Postby barbiedee » Mon May 16, 2011 6:28 am

Hi All;
I am quite new to the forum and enjoy reading everyone's comments. Like many others, I am seeking your recommendation as to which Poicephalus species & sex to purchase.

My husband and I have narrowed it down to a Red Bellied or Brown Headed Parrot. We have studied other species and their generalized traits and have settled on one of these two species. We want a relatively calm and quiet bird, that is able to entertain itself and be friendly with strangers and not bond exclusively to one of us. I like that the Red Bellies are labeled as "clowns". We went to a breeder yesterday and saw the four main Poi species...Meyers, Senegal, RB and BH. We have considered all four and have narrowed it down to the RB and BH. The breeder suggested a female over a male. He believes male RB carry a bit more attitude and tend to bond more closely to only one person.

I have done my research and do understand that all statements are generalizations and do not reflect the absolute behaviour of a bird. I am just looking to get a true sense of what's the worst I can expect from each species. I unfortunately had a Cockatiel, whom I purchased from a Pet Store....was told that they are very quiet. I had to rehome him to a breeder friend who claims he is the loudest bird he's every had. I get that all birds make noise but this guy screamed ALL the time when he couldn't see us!!!! I just don't want a repeat of that....re-homing was heart breaking.
Looking for your thoughts and comments......the only other bird that I might be willing to consider before making a final decision is a Pionus. Comments on this breed are also welcome.
Looking forward to your replies.
barbiedee
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lineolated Parakeet
Flight: Yes

Re: Help....Which Poi To Purchase?

Postby zazanomore » Mon May 16, 2011 6:52 am

I LOVE female red bellies, they are on my 'someday' list.

They are said to be really outgoing and friendly towards strangers. Also, from what I've heard, they are actually not to bad talkers.

What I recommend you do though, is go back to the breeder and interact with the babies. Which ones do you connect the most with?

Also, since it's you and your husband, I'm sure you can both socialize and bond with the bird.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby Julsiebean » Mon May 16, 2011 7:02 am

Sounds like you have a realistic outlook, so thumbs up!

My best advice is, over the years my "best" birds have been the birds that picked me. Take your time, look around, and the right bird will pick you, won't matter if it is male or female. I've never had a poi, but I think in any parrot males and females make equally wonderful pets. They will know you when they see you! :thumbsup:
Julsiebean
Conure

Flight: No

Postby GlassOnion » Mon May 16, 2011 3:26 pm

I LOVE the look of Bronze Wing Pionuses. I wouldn't rule out the pi's as they are known to be a much more independent, yet gentle species compared to many other options.

Check out these photos!
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k50 ... CF1258.jpg
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k50 ... CF1243.jpg
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k50 ... CF1272.jpg
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby GlassOnion » Mon May 16, 2011 3:30 pm

GlassOnion
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby Michael » Mon May 16, 2011 3:33 pm

I recommend you read some of these topics about Senegal Parrots. Although there will be differences within the Poicephalus genra, I think they are more alike to each other than other kinds of parrots. Here's some articles that talk about the pros/cons of Senegal Parrots to help you think about some Poicephalus related issues (but others can chime in on the species specifics):

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=348
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=768
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1528

Something you should be very concerned about is how a Poicephalus parrot will get along with your parakeet. Definitely take that strongly into consideration.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby barbiedee » Mon May 16, 2011 4:01 pm

Thank you all for your posts. I was looking for honest opinions...and that is exactly what I got and why I am still unsure what to get!!
GlassOnion, thank you also for posting the picture and forum links. Some very helpful reading. I assume those were the Bronze Wing Pionus.....stunning!!
Michael, I see you have a Cape Parrot....I had considered one of those also. Although they are rated as very calm birds...I am a little afraid that they bite be a little too much if I got a "rowdy" one.
Not sure about your comment about the Linnie and Parrot getting along??? I wasn't thinking of letting them interact if that's what you were referring to.
I had also strongly considered a Senegal for a time, until I found that they tend to bond more with only one person.
Does anyone know of a Breeder List......I live in Southwestern Ontario. I am afraid to get one from a Pet Store...would prefer to deal directly with a Breeder.
Thank you again all.
barbiedee
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lineolated Parakeet

Postby Natacha » Mon May 16, 2011 4:09 pm

It's a hard thing living with generalizations.

I have a Senegal parrot and she's about as friendly as you can get them. The trick? Socialization, early and plenty of it!

I have a male and female RB and although I had to win my male in the beginning (he came from a home where he was the man's pet and his wife at the time despised him), he's now very good with anyone and everyone - so much so that when we have company over, he's the first one to go and see them and wow them. My female on the other hand has a strong bond with me. If I'm around she's good, if I'm not there she's a bit more shy. I've got both of these as rehomes.

I don't have a Brown head, but if looking for one, there is a breeder in Guelph who, the last time I heard of, had two babies for sale - a female and a male.

http://www.soltiaaviary.ca/

I nearly got a baby RB from her, but I was looking for a female and the whole clutch was males. Then I got my rehome :)
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Mon May 16, 2011 4:12 pm

My Cape is still young, so I can't be sure for the long run, but he's way less bitey than my Senegal Parrot (even when she was his age). The breeder said she thinks Capes know that they are big and strong so no one bothers them and they have no need to bite. They are really sweet but can get quite noisy (for a poi). I'm not saying I necessarily recommend a Cape, but with proper training/handling, I don't think that Cape beak should be so intimidating. Some of the smaller birds can do way more damage with a smaller one (no idea how but they do). Definitely look at the Senegal Aggression articles just to know some of the down sides and some ways of dealing with them. I have no idea how much it relates to other types of Pois but could to consider since they're related.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Parrot Species