Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Sucky Breeders

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Sucky Breeders

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:55 pm

Jean Pattison said she would if I found a reputable hand feeder in my area and paid full retail. However, I really doubt that would be worth it. And I asked her if she honestly thought it made any difference. I asked her if there was a significant benefit to the bird from visiting while it is still being weened. She said it's a benefit for the future owner and not for the parrot. That the parrot will be about the same either way but that the owner needs to get used to handling a bird, etc. I told her I have no problem handling any parrot at my local parrot store from greys to macaws so she said it wouldn't be a problem and I may as well have her raise/ship it. Price would be the same either way so I don't see any point in lying from her end.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Sucky Breeders

Postby pchela » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:11 pm

I don't think she would lie either. I am surprised that she'd be willing to ship a chick but maybe she has some way to screen your hand feeder and make sure the baby would be in good hands. She is right that the visits are for the human more than the parrot. It's nice to get to know your baby at a young age and there are benefits such as the parrot being comfortable with you when it first comes home, but the parrot will learn to love you after it's weaned just as well as before it is weaned as you know from your experience with your own Senegal. I think you are correct that it would not be worth it to have it shipped and hand fed by somebody else.

Say... if you bought a baby from Scott, I could hand raise it for you. There'd be no benefit for you necessarily but I'd enjoy it! :P
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Parrot Species