Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

GCC Vocalizations

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

GCC Vocalizations

Postby Conure_Concierge » Mon May 23, 2011 1:41 pm

I can't find any place on the forum to ask this question so I thought I'd start a new thread for GCC owners to list noises their green cheeks make and what they know, or believe them to mean.

I'm aware of my GCC's basic vocalizations and meanings (more or less) for such as: his contented beak grinding, happy ratcheting growl/purr, warning "don't do that" squeal, and his piercing whistle of unconstrained excitement.

However my male GCC has started to make a new sound, only in the dark in the evening and early morning; it's a quiet, long drawn out squeal like you'd make sucking air through your teeth. It varies in pitch, sounds extremely eerie and I would hate to think it means anything serious. I think/hope it may be his "I was asleep, why did you wake me to tell me goodnight/goodmorning ?" complaint.

Other than a custodial requirement; I feel I should make an effort to understand his language if I expect him to understand mine... after all aren't we supposed to be more intelligent ? ;)

Any ideas ? Any other interesting GCC noises, or vocalizations ? :gcc:
Conure_Concierge
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Fancy GCC - pyrrhura molinae
UnCape - poicephalus fuscicollis fuscicollis
Flight: Yes

Re: GCC Vocalizations

Postby PapayaTheConure » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:00 pm

My cinnamon makes a two syllable call every few minutes.

Papaya- :gcc:
PapayaTheConure
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Re: GCC Vocalizations

Postby Bambooprincess » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:51 am

Hi. I'm not sure about the low squeal but Bogie, my cinnamon GCC does a low, short, chirpy noise when he is sleepy and something wakes him up a bit. It almost sounds like a question the way he does it.
He's a good talker too. Some of the things he says are "give kisses" followed by a kissing noise, "come here", "do you like it", "step up", "Bogie Bird", "birdy, birdy, birdy", "Whatcha doing", "What are you doing", "Pretty bird", and he laughs when he burrows down the front of my shirt. The funniest thing I think he does is sit and protest when I put his cage cover on for the night. He sits there and says "what are you doing" over and over.
Bambooprincess
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure (Bogie)
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Species