Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Green Cheek Conure vs Cockatiel?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Green Cheek Conure vs Cockatiel?

Postby Jessica M » Mon May 23, 2011 2:37 pm

Pros and cons,personality and noise level THANKS!
Jessica M
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Parrotlet,Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Green Cheek Conure vs Cockatiel?

Postby Goffin-Goof » Wed May 25, 2011 9:58 am

Jessica M wrote:Pros and cons,personality and noise level THANKS!

I grew up with tiels, and owned one Green Cheek several years ago.
The noise levels are very comparable; in fact I believe that our conure (Batman) was quieter than any tiel I've ever owned. Batman rarely made any noise, but that could have been from his age (infant). Unfortunately we didn't own Batmas very long as relocating made it impossible. He went to a family friend and is living happily ever after.

People skills?
In my experience the conure was more affectionate and cuddly. Our cockatiels seemed to be one person creatures for the most part, but Batman was open to just about anyone willing to touch him.

Not much, but that's my 2¢
Last edited by Goffin-Goof on Thu May 26, 2011 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goffin-Goof
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Female Goffin Cockatoo

Postby pchela » Wed May 25, 2011 1:15 pm

Both can be sweet but I find the conures to have more personality and they are definitely more playful. Also, quieter. Of course, this is all in general.. every bird is different. So, I'd say I prefer the conures.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Giantmoa » Wed May 25, 2011 7:28 pm

a cockatiel (Lucky) was my first bird and I currently have a green cheek conure (rainbow). My tiel was a sweetheart but not near the same level of the cuddlieness of my gcc. Lucky was more content to do her own thing even though she did like being with us. My green cheek on the other hand is much more inclined to try and spend time with us and loves to cuddle. Rainbow is nippy compared to Lucky who only gave warning nips if you pushed her comfort zone, etc. With noise level rainbow has the higher shriek but lucky made more constant not as loud noises. Lucky went from being my bird for the first couple years we had her to showing a strong preference towards my dad even though she was still friendly with the rest of us. so far rainbow hasn't picked out a "favorite" and is good with everybody she meets even though I handle her most of the time
these have just been my experiences with my birds, hope they help.
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Return to Parrot Species