Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Indian Ringneck information

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Indian Ringneck information

Postby Jessica M » Wed May 25, 2011 2:33 pm

Helpful tips that a person owning an indian ringneck should know about them.I might be getting one and i don't know much about them.
Jessica M
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Parrotlet,Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Indian Ringneck information

Postby flockleader6 » Mon May 30, 2011 5:51 am

I adopted a 3 year old albino ringneck female. These birds tend to bond to one person and are kind of like adopting a 2 year old child. They are incredibly intelligent. They tend to plot things out if you don't want them to do something. Once they see an opening they will go for it. They don't just sit around and look pretty. They have great talking skills, and require a minimum in my opinion of two to three hours a day of your attention out of cage. They may grow to 18 inches long, but are quite beautiful and completely fearless. Its like stuffing King Kong into a small body. To there masters they are incredibly loving birds, if given proper attention. I have three cats and trust me, all three of them are afraid of her. She won't take crap from anybody. As far as eating, they will eat anything you will eat. In fact when I make dinner, I have to get mine out so that she can share what I have or she cops an attitude. Of course, never feed your bird chocolate, this will surly kill them. Give them plenty of veggies mixed in with a good quality pellet and safflower mix diet. A bit of seed is ok but no sunflower seeds. This is like a drug to them and can make them mean. They may be small but they can bite the crap out of you. Show them love, spend time, talk to them as there is nothing so sweet as your voice to them. These birds will live up to 35 years so be prepared to spend half a lifetime caring for them. As for toys, I'm not sure. I have a female and she would rather spend time with me than anything I buy in the petshop. there was one thing I found that seemed to make her have fun. I keep her in a flight cage and I give her a box of klenex now and then and she will tear that thing to bits. It looks like it snowed in the cage and she seems to take great joy in doing so. Do your homework on these birds although small as I said before, they are incredibly intellegent loving and caring animals
flockleader6
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: albino ringneck, sun conure, 2'tiels, 2 lovebirds
Flight: No

Re: Indian Ringneck information

Postby hannahbird » Mon May 30, 2011 10:24 pm

A bit of seed is ok but no sunflower seeds. This is like a drug to them and can make them mean]

I thought that sunflower seeds made great treats for training, but only a small amount because of the high fat content. I never heard of them making them mean. ?
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.
hannahbird
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Species