Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

*READ* before getting a Yellow Naped Amazon Parrot!

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

*READ* before getting a Yellow Naped Amazon Parrot!

Postby ilovejulio » Fri May 27, 2011 3:12 pm

I am a owner of a wonderful Yellow Naped Amazon Parrot. Here is some information you need to know!

Pros:
They are great talkers
Very Pretty
Can be sweet
Lovely color when put in the sun
Love to have baths
ADORABLE (duh!)
Medium sized
Bonds with person who pays most attention
Long lives
Extreamly funny
love to be pet

Cons:
Loud (sometimes)
For expirenced bird owners (recomended)
Out of all birds, these guys will bite the most
Need a lot of attention
Go well with kids over 8. (bites! Or if your children are mature)
Have a big personality (attitude)
Not good to have if you work at home

If you need more information,Please PM me! :)

~Kristy and Julio
ilovejulio
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow naped amazon parrot
Flight: No

Re: *READ* before getting a Yellow Naped Amazon Parrot!

Postby captwest » Mon May 30, 2011 7:11 am

Hey Kristy ,how long have you had Julio ? i saw he was 28 and you have a biting problem,that is something you can fix, i think you said he's bonded to you and still bites? How about alittle back ground?I have many Yellow Napes that don't have issues with biting or kids.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels

Postby ilovejulio » Mon May 30, 2011 10:24 am

Since he was a baby. Thats just him. He bites everyone. he doesn't bite me, he'll bite my husband. Hes very over protected.
ilovejulio
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow naped amazon parrot

Postby captwest » Mon May 30, 2011 2:59 pm

ilovejulio wrote:Hes very over protected.

Yeah Kristy, that's a hard one to cure. good luck with Julio,Richard and Jake
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels

Postby AmazonServant » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:11 pm

I work at home with my yellow nape, and I've noticed that her behavior changes dramatically based on the size of the house or apartment. When I lived with my parents and she stayed home with my mom, she was very loud and would scream all the time. We thought that was just how she was. But now that she has come to live with me in a small apartment, she hardly ever screams. I guess she was just louder before because the family home was much bigger, and if she was left alone in her cage in the office upstairs, she would know if people were moving about in the kitchen or living room without her. Naturally, she'd get upset at being ignored and would start to scream. I was worried that I'd get noise complaints from my neighbors when I moved into my apartment building, but ironically enough living in an apartment is what's made her quiet down considerably. Now she just has her "jungle time" once a a day at around 10 in the morning, then sometimes again around dinnertime, but that usually just involves enthusiastic talking instead of ear-splitting shrieks. Also, I should add, sounds coming from neighboring apartments don't get her riled up, for whatever reason, so she's quiet as a mouse when I'm not home (I've tested the theory by listening from the hallway). :amazon:
AmazonServant
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Nape Amazon

Postby SimseySyd » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:11 pm

I have a blue fronted amazon and I'd say that this also applies to them. My bird doesn't really bite hard but if you stop rubbing his head when he doesn't want you he may nip you (not hard at all). They are extremely vocal! I honestly don't mind it (he laughes at things and it's so cute),but some family members don't like the loud yelling when he greets the day. They also have to be the center of attention (or I spoiled mine rotten :D ) for example he likes to be the loudest thing in the room (which is pretty loud). However they have a wonderful, playful personality and I wouldn't trade my Amazon for the world.
SimseySyd
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Blue-Fronted Amazon
Solomon Island Eclectus

Postby AmazonServant » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:46 pm

Hehe, I love hearing about other people's Amazons. I think another thing to note about them is that they have very clear and expressive body language. Once you've watched them enough you'll know that leaning forward anxiously means wanting to step up, bobbing the head back and forth like Stevie Wonder means the bird is bored, and flaring out feathers while talking excitedly and dilating the eyes means watch out, I'm so excited I just might bite you. My bird has rarely bitten and has never bitten me, but I chalk that up not only to good luck (some birds are just nippy) but also to watching her body language and knowing when not to touch her or try to pick her up.

As for being prepared before getting one of these birds, I'd say being aware of the issues of hormones and sexual maturity is pretty important. When we got my bird, no one said anything to us about the issue. Little did we know that for her, going through puberty woudn't be too far off from the human equivalent, filled with temper tantrums, biting and possessive behavior. I know males have a reputation for being especially aggressive around mating time. I guess I'm just lucky my bird turned out to be a girl.
AmazonServant
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Nape Amazon

Postby theparrotletdude » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:46 am

They're so darned cute though :P
Hi! You can visit my parrotlets, Benry and Chase, at: http://www.benryandchase.webs.com . Thanks!
theparrotletdude
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlets
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Species