Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Poicephalus Species

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Poicephalus Species

Postby liz » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:08 am

My worst bite came from a cockatiel :greycockatiel: I named Rosie. I then gave her the nickname of Pit Bull. That girl went after chunks not just bites and would not let go. This was normal for her to do. I fostered one named Curley :greycockatiel: for 3 years while his Momma got her life straight. When I sent Curley home Rosie went with him. Solved my problem.

The worst I got from an Amazon was from Myrtle my 1 year old BF. The vet had her in a towel and on her back. She clamped down on my index finger and used me as leverage to get out of the towel. She did not break skin and was really not biting just getting help. When she let go my finger was reshaped but the skin not broken. My finger turned blue. She was not trying to hurt me just get help.

:amazon: :amazon2: :greycockatiel: :pied: :pied: :greycockatiel: :greycockatiel: :greycockatiel: :swaying: :swaying:

If you are afraid of a bite you don't need a bird. Your fear will be known and used against you. The smaller the bird the sharper the beak. Maybe you should adopt a cat from the animal shelter.
My Calicat learned to say Momma, no, out and milk and knew what she was saying.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Jessica M » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:16 am

I'm not scared to get bit,and i have gotten bit my African grays and cockatoo's before,their just not the bird for me.
Jessica M
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Parrotlet,Senegal

Postby Natacha » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Jessica M wrote:I think that bigger birds need to be outside of the cage almost all day.

Techhnically, all birds would do well out of their cages almost all day.
I don't think because one is smaller it should be locked in more.

Pois are known to be more independent, therefore can entertain themselves for longer, but it doesn't mean that if provided with the opportunity, they wouldn't do well being out all day.

I find with the bigger guys, and here namely with African Greys and Cockatoos since they are most of time labelled with "more needy" tag, can do well with more in cage time than people think. In fact, it's all about what they are used to. If you lavish a baby bird, any type of bird, with more attention that you will ever be able to give it any other day because they are fun as babies, then you are setting yourself up for trouble. And this appears to be more so true with some birds with more complex personalities. If you get a bird used to a definite amount of in case time, provide it with an enriching/stimulating environment, whether in our out of the cage, it might fare better than we think.

As well, another example where size here doesn't really matter - Lovebirds. Lovebirds can be adorable little birds, but to keep one like that you have to provide daily attention. Otherwise, they can be quick to revert to a more wild state.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Previous

Return to Parrot Species