Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Looking for a new parrot which should I get?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Looking for a new parrot which should I get?

Postby coolhady13 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:52 pm

GlassOnion wrote:There are tons of African Greys and Amazons that never utter a single word in their lifetime. Buying a bird just for its talking ability is not a good idea at all.

i think the african greys and amazons that you talking about is african greys and amazons that never been with an owner who knows how to teach a bird to talk . :mrgreen:

even budgies and cockatiels can learn to talk very well if they have an owner who knows how to teach them . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:greycockatiel: Missy
coolhady13
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: budgies , cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Postby Mum2rory » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:26 pm

Getting a bird based on talking is a very bad idea. Not all birds talk, even those from species that are renowned for talking, still have some that dont talk. You get a bird because you want to have a companion, not for any other reason. Do your research and get one that will fit your lifestyle and situation.
Budgies - Harry and Billy
Cinn GCC - Bailey
Blue Quaker - Malakai (Kai)
Cockatiel - Rhyly
Mum2rory
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies, 1 Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure, 1 Quaker , 1 Cockatiel (and 1 sadly missed Cockatiel who flew away Sept 24 2011. Miss you sweety)

Postby GlassOnion » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:31 pm

coolhady13 wrote:i think the african greys and amazons that you talking about is african greys and amazons that never been with an owner who knows how to teach a bird to talk . :mrgreen:

No. Most talking Greys and Amazons just pick up talking by hearing repetitive sounds daily. The ones that talk do it without being taught. There are also plenty that won't do it at all.

You also need to know that a talking bird doesn't just talk and that be it. Many Greys will mimic ALL day long: words, car alarms, door squeaks, coughs, farts, quarter else.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby coolhady13 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:34 am

Getting a bird based on talking is a very bad idea. Not all birds talk, even those from species that are renowned for talking, still have some that dont talk. You get a bird because you want to have a companion, not for any other reason. Do your research and get one that will fit your lifestyle and situation.

No. Most talking Greys and Amazons just pick up talking by hearing repetitive sounds daily. The ones that talk do it without being taught. There are also plenty that won't do it at all.

You also need to know that a talking bird doesn't just talk and that be it. Many Greys will mimic ALL day long: words, car alarms, door squeaks, coughs, farts, quarter else.

i agree with you guys and i know what you mean , i saw a lot of people who wants to buy a parrot just because they think that he will talk like the parrot in Treasure Island :D :D and when i say to anyone that i have a pet parrot the first question i get is " can he talk ? " , which is a big a mistake .

but keeping the talking ability in mind when buying a parrot is not a bad thing
and even if not for talking ability , a cockatiel is 100% whistler and can be taught to whistle songs
dont tell me that there is cockatiels that didn't whistle there whole life( i read that females dont whistle a lot but males do ) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: so buying a cockatiel for whistling ability is not a bad idea :thumbsup:
coolhady13
Conure

Postby Kaicho » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:38 am

coolhady13 wrote:

i agree with you guys and i know what you mean , i saw a lot of people who wants to buy a parrot just because they think that he will talk like the parrot in Treasure Island :D :D and when i say to anyone that i have a pet parrot the first question i get is " can he talk ? " , which is a big a mistake .

but keeping the talking ability in mind when buying a parrot is not a bad thing
and even if not for talking ability , a cockatiel is 100% whistler and can be taught to whistle songs
dont tell me that there is cockatiels that didn't whistle there whole life( i read that females dont whistle a lot but males do ) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: so buying a cockatiel for whistling ability is not a bad idea :thumbsup:

Um, just so you know.... it's not that cockatiels ONLY whistle..... because they don't. It's highly dependant on how the cockatiel is nurtured. In this case, Nurture vs. Nature wins. My own cockatiel, which I raised from 2weeks after hatch date, does both and does them both exceedingly well. What's even more fascinating is that the owners of the other cockatiels in his clutch also reported their tiels being only a whistler and one of them not being able to anything but bite. Some would attribute this to personalities, but I believe it's actually the way they were raised. I interacted every single day for at least 4 months with Kaicho to reinforce the positive behavior of communicating with me through speech & whistles. If you don't believe me, here's a video of his actually ability:

It might seem like I'm overly adamant about cockatiels and their abilities, but I guess I'm just sick and tired of people thinking a tiel can just whistle and they all whistle and it's what they do.... because it's NOT. This is the same with ALL parrots.... I mean hell, my sun conure can talk and they are NOT known for talking.... proof in the pudding: It's HOW you raise and interact with your parrot that determines their own abilities, whether it's behaviors or speech/whistling.

Sheesh
Kaicho
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel (grey),
Sun Conure,
Indian Ringneck (blue),
Yellow Collared Macaw,
Congo African Grey,
Greater Vasa Parrot,
Blue and Gold Macaw

Postby Mum2rory » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:10 am

Well, it may appear that my cockatiel really "missed out' or maybe still too young, I dont know and I dont care. My little one does nothing but a "flock call". S/he is 5mths old, got him at 6-7wks old from a breeder. Spend hours a day talking/singing to and playing with him. I love him as s/he is. Has a wonderful, loving personality, does not bite (except to pick the scabs off sores on my arm - OUCH), loves cuddles, kisses & scritches, is not aggresive with other birds or my son, happy to amuse himself in or out of cage but prefers to be with me or my son. What more could I want from a bird companion? I am really happy and love her (I think now it may be a girl, gotta start calling her a she. LOL)
Budgies - Harry and Billy
Cinn GCC - Bailey
Blue Quaker - Malakai (Kai)
Cockatiel - Rhyly
Mum2rory
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies, 1 Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure, 1 Quaker , 1 Cockatiel (and 1 sadly missed Cockatiel who flew away Sept 24 2011. Miss you sweety)

Postby coolhady13 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:36 am

Kaicho wrote:Um, just so you know.... it's not that cockatiels ONLY whistle..... because they don't. It's highly dependant on how the cockatiel is nurtured. In this case, Nurture vs. Nature wins. My own cockatiel, which I raised from 2weeks after hatch date, does both and does them both exceedingly well. What's even more fascinating is that the owners of the other cockatiels in his clutch also reported their tiels being only a whistler and one of them not being able to anything but bite. Some would attribute this to personalities, but I believe it's actually the way they were raised. I interacted every single day for at least 4 months with Kaicho to reinforce the positive behavior of communicating with me through speech & whistles. If you don't believe me, here's a video of his actually ability:

It might seem like I'm overly adamant about cockatiels and their abilities, but I guess I'm just sick and tired of people thinking a tiel can just whistle and they all whistle and it's what they do.... because it's NOT. This is the same with ALL parrots.... I mean hell, my sun conure can talk and they are NOT known for talking.... proof in the pudding: It's HOW you raise and interact with your parrot that determines their own abilities, whether it's behaviors or speech/whistling.

Sheesh

wow i didnt know that you the guy with the beatboxing cockatiel :D i saw you video a couple of weeks ago . man your cockatiel is very coool :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
coolhady13
Conure

Postby LivingFiction » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:20 pm

I'd recommend a Quaker.

They have the POTENTIAL to have everything you've mentioned. I have had several quakers, and consider them to birds with amazing companion qualities in manageable packages. They're not as loud as conures, not as feisty as Poi, and talk better than both (generally).

They're also inexpensive, and can be both one person, and family birds depending on how you choose to socialize them. The most cuddly, best talking Quaker I ever had was a rescue, so consider that as an option.

Good luck in your choice!
LivingFiction
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Brown-Necked Parrot (Un-Cape)
Flight: No

Postby Skip » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:50 am

I'll see when I get there!
Toni- :budgie:
Ray (me) - :)
Skip
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Budgies

Postby Skip » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:47 pm

GlassOnion wrote:There are tons of African Greys and Amazons that never utter a single word in their lifetime. Buying a bird just for its talking ability is not a good idea at all.

Agree, I bet there are like tons of parrots that dont talk!
Toni- :budgie:
Ray (me) - :)
Skip
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Budgies

Previous

Return to Parrot Species