Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrotlet or Budgie?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Parrotlet or Budgie?

Postby alexandrenm » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:47 am

Hi everyone. I've been looking to add a second parrot to my house so, after weeks of searching for the best choice, I narrowed it down to two birds, the parrotlet and the budgie. So, to make the best choice, I have some questions to ask.
I would like a bird that has a great personality, and that is a great companion.
What are the cages recommendations for each one of the birds? I can spend, with direct contact with him, for approximately 3 hours a day, but I can spend almost all day long talking and been near him. Is that enough for these birds? What are the differences in personalities between the males and the females? I have a cockatiel that is enabled to walk freely by the house, can I do the same with both or is better to keep him on his cage, only letting him out when I'm near so I can supervise him?
Thanks.
alexandrenm
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: Parrotlet or Budgie?

Postby GlassOnion » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:20 am

Both are feisty, busy superballs that are quite slippery. Both will boss your tiel around, but the Parrotlet is extra aggressive and territorial. Budgies tend to be better mimics as mine has mastered every Cockatiel sound in the house. Both are very active, I suggest a flight cage such as the HQ or AE flight cages. Lots of shreddable toys, lots of cage-free time are needed.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot
Flight: Yes

Postby alexandrenm » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:16 pm

Thank you.
alexandrenm
Parakeet

Flight: No

Postby Betsy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:36 am

I've never had a budgie but I have had my Parrotlet for 8 years. She has been flighted for 6 of those (the most recent years). I think the cage requirements would be the same for the two types of birds. I let my Parrotlet out when I am home and she doesn't get into trouble, even if I am not in the same room. It definitely helps to have her flighted because she can escape any situation in which she is uncomfortable or she can come find me. Her beak is too small to be destructive so I have never had a problem with her chewing things of mine. Lately she likes to perch above the shades or on the window frame and just hang out watching everything. I think she is pretty mellow for a Parrotlet so a lot will depend on the individual bird's personality. Females are quieter than males but also will not talk. Noise is never a problem with her. She is selective about who she likes and will not step up for just anyone, but always will for me. Lately my 2 year old son has been helping me clicker train her so she now can take a piece of sunflower seed out of his fingers with no aggression.

Try YouTube to find some videos of both species to get a better idea. Like I said, I don't have experience with budgies but I get the impression that parrotlets might be fiestier, although a lot depends on individual personality. A Parrotlet will cost more to buy the actual bird but should live a lot longer. Hope that helps!
Betsy
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Maxillian Pionus
Flight: Yes

Postby alexandrenm » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:02 pm

Thank you Betsy.
alexandrenm
Parakeet