Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Goffins cockatoo? Or would it be a big mistake?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Goffins cockatoo? Or would it be a big mistake?

Postby RainbowRose » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:29 pm

Hello all,

I'm new here and I thought I would kick off my membership by asking a question! I hope you don't mind answering!

My blue capped conure died about six months ago, he was elderly when I adopted him and he had one heck of a screaming problem, but he was so lovable that I was able to deal with the screaming wanted to wait awhile to get another bird, I wanted to be able to grieve first.

Well, I've decided its maybe time to get another parrot, my house feels so empty right now. Before getting my conure I had really been attracted to cockatoos, but because of the noise and behavioral problems associated with the larger 'toos I decided against it.

I checked out a local shelter on petfinder.com and they currently have a 14 year old male goffins for adoption. I know a cockatoo is a cockatoo, but wouldn't the smaller ones create significantly less noise than the larger 'toos? Does anyone have a goffins? Is the noise level worse than a conure? I actually don't mind the volume of the screams, its the amount of screams. Do they usually scream night and day? Or do they just do their flock calls?

I contacted the shelter and the lady and I scheduled a phone call and then if everything goes well a visit. I'm hoping from the best, but I really want to be prepared.

Tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly.
RainbowRose
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Goffins cockatoo? Or would it be a big mistake?

Postby GlassOnion » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:10 pm

Goffin's Cockatoos aren't any easier than the large Umbrellas or the Moluccans. I know of people who say that their Goffin's is a lot more difficult to keep happy and also show unpredictable aggression. These guys are also notorious for plucking and aren't the birds to stay put on a stand with a toy or two.

Check out these sites as you really need to know what to expect when considering a 'too:

http://www.mytoos.com
http://www.iamcockatoo.com
http://forums.avianavenue.com/cockatoo- ... -they.html
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:44 pm

The shelters near me keep their birds for a while to learn personality and to socialize them. By visiting you will get the low down on it and begin to bond before you take it home. You are not committed until you sign the adoption.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Zanizaila » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:26 am

I suggest you talk with these guys, or at least search the forum: http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php
They really know about cockatoos and the forum has existed for a decade, which means your question has definitely already been asked.
Proud slave of Saga and Cirino, and missing Yondo and Egon.
...and there is a world difference between supporting aviculture and supporting birds. - Greg Glendell
Zanizaila
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Meyers Parrot, Scarlet Macaw

Postby Terbear » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:21 am

I know this is an older post, however will post this in case someone else run across it...

A goffin is a butt load of work, its rewarding work, however its still a chore. Our goffin is a rescuse and we can pet him but he does not step up. He loves music and loves to dance, and lets it rip every chance he gets! He is terrified of everything which I think comes with him being abused and neglected. He is needy, and demanding, he is a spoiled 2 year old in a feathered body. He has fits and he shrieks for no reason other than to see if you are still alive by checking your heart. He is obsessed with Tinkerbell and has howeling fits if his movie is not in by noon. He is very much a creature of habbit and if your a split second late, your going to know it.

I have a friend who swears I adopted a pterodactyl, he swears they used his voice for one of the animals from Jurassic park. My one warning about a goffin would be the noise...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz2NZSAvKEg Mind you I am sitting beside the stereo so the radio muffles him, and he is 22 feet away from me... I have read somewhere that a boeing jet can rach 150 decibels, but a goffin can reach 170. I do not recomend them for city dwellers or apartment dwellers, just based upon the noise factor.

I think a goffins are sweat and loving but they carry the same burden and work load a larger 'too does, however with any compainion animal, you get what you put into them, and that is especially true of any of the parrot family.

They can be territorial, and possessive, do not think about touching his stuff, because its his and thats all there is to it. I know that shelters and rescues are full of them because they can be loud, obnoxious stink weeds, and they can also be aggresive towards other birds/animals.

But at the end of the day, I'd do it all over again, and I'd rescue another :) Show them your heart, and they will give you theirs...
Terri
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Albert Einstein
Terbear
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Rose Breasted Cockatoo (x1)
Goffin Cockatoo (x1)
Lovebird (x1)
English (x3)

Postby theparrotletdude » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:45 am

They aren't any easier than the larger ones. They may be cute, but they are very hard to take care of. :cockatoo:
Hi! You can visit my parrotlets, Benry and Chase, at: http://www.benryandchase.webs.com . Thanks!
theparrotletdude
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlets

Postby Cage Cleaner » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:41 am

The breeder who bred my Sun Conure also specializes in CAG's, Goffins, and Sulfer Crested Cockatoos. I contacted her about about a potential Goffins cockatoo for a friend, and she actually talked me out of it.

Basically you need to dedicate a large amount of time every. SINGLE. DAY. to the bird. If you miss a day, the bird is smart enough to not only throw a horrendous tantrum but also to get out of its cage and destroy -every-thing it sees.

They are loud, and extremely demanding. More so than any other bird. They need/want attention constantly, and really rely on it. The breeder only recommends them to people who are either at home all day, and every day, or retired.

I figure that if someone who stands to make a pile of money on the transaction is talking me out of it, I think it's definitely advice worth considering.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Komodeno » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:13 am

I recently adopted a Goffin. It was not a plan but it happen. He is 7 years old and extremely sweet. He sings, jumps and I think soon will even dance. As of now he is one month with us and we did not have any negative experience. he is well socialized and enjoys to snuggle and play with my kids. Yes he screams sometime but it is not excessive and I'm sure we can make it even less when he get to play with the other birds and start learning from them. I can say he is very smart and eager to learn. I did not even imagine that cockatoos are so funny and cuddly.
I'm sure Goffins make a good pet if you are ready to work with them and handle them right.
Komodeno
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: African Gray
Macaw
Goffin Cockatoo

Postby liz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:41 am

Go to www.YouTube.com for Frosty and Snowball.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Parrot Species