Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My Second Bird after Budgie

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

My Second Bird after Budgie

Postby LiaraTivona » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:49 pm

History (starting with my first bird as an adult so I don't ramble too much ;) You can probably skip this part.
Beloved Tika passed away last spring after multiple vet visits. She lived over 8 years with me and we had a good life together, though we had hard times as well. Early on, she was rather docile for a pet store bird, but participated more out of fear it seemed than a desire for companionship. After a few years of intense academic work and some social neglect, she became a very doting vampire bird, although she doted on my dad more than me. Once I moved out on my own, clicker training really took off and she loved doing a huge range of tricks each day, and the best part was she actually wanted to spend time with me.

So, shortly before she died my fiance got a budgie from an even worse pet store, even though I warned him not too. He is a big softie and fell for the whole pity purchase. :cry: Now we have Momo, who will step up and likes to talk to us across the room occasionally, but generally is uninterested in us or millet spray. At first I thought he was just bonded with (and then missing) Tika, but I would think by now... but that is a topic for another part of the forum.

Important-ish Stuff Now
Since I have a 3-parakeet history, let me start with what I feel about them:
Pros:
Chewing: I loved making chew toys for her. Momo (being male I guess) does not like chewing so much
Chatter: Small chatter and warbling to fill a room is one of the great boons of having a bird!
Energy: She was so eager to learn, and so happy to show off her tricks!
Mimicry: I'm not picky, but I did love when my childhood parakeet would speak.
Singing: Singing and dancing to music is a great way to bond with my birds.
Size: Budgies are easy to keep in small living spaces while still giving them lots of room to play.
Consistent Perching: She like to explore, but she didn't crawl behind TVs to chew wires or anything.
Normalness: I didn't have to worry about having an exotic pet; people think they are like fish.
Poops: I think I could have potty trained her if I tried, but really there wasn't that much need.
Bite: The only thing we have to fear... is fear itself.
Cons:
Fweep & Squawk: When Tika was bonded to my father, she would sit on my shoulder and make me deaf by calling for him from across the house. He didn't even like her!
No Touchies!: Even after we were so bonded, she still didn't enjoy being pet even when she let me do it.
Fresh food: Even the parrot sanctuary I worked for said budgies aren't usually into fresh food as much, based on their natural diets. I like to share.
Size: I kind of wanted the ability to take my bird places, maybe do storytime with kids, have some outdoor flight time... maybe I should get a falcon? :D

My considerations
Nothing huge in body or needs! I've been to the Macaw and African Gray houses in the parrot sanctuary. My supervisor had great stories of Macaws walking around her yard with her, but I just can't do that.

I'm thinking another budgie, a cockatiel, or maybe a small sennie or something. I kind of want to do something different, but a hand-raised budgie would be different, and I could always pick out an unusual color so it doesn't seem like a copy of my previous birds. A cockatiel sounded nice because they are usually more cuddly and I like how they whistle, but they don't seem very active or clownish. I think a cockatiel would have been perfect for my fiance. :? I suppose I could always get him a tiel and take Momo under my wing, but I didn't want to start with an untame bird again. Then I think maybe there is another bird out there that I am not considering, like the brown-headed parrot that might be just what I'm looking for.

I will be frequenting an excellent bird store that breeds and handles all their birds for quality, so I will be able to meet some personaliites but I just wanted to hear some opinions on these less frequently discussed traits, such as the desire for chatter and chewing.

Thank you!
LiaraTivona
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: My Second Bird after Budgie

Postby GlassOnion » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:53 pm

I absolutely adore Budgies. I have a Cockatiel and a Budgie and they have very different temperaments. Spice is very clever and so acrobatic! Apple on the other hand is very calm and clumsy, meaning he stays a perch potato for most of the day.

As for fresh feeding, my Budgie LOVES many veggies such as Broccoli, Romaine lettuce, Peas, Beans, Corn, oat/wheat grass, whatever else! It really is important for them to get their greens.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby LiaraTivona » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:12 pm

Thank you!

A couch potato bird sounds perfect for my fiance. His biggest complaint is that momo won't stay with him but tika... forcefully taught me that she gets bored easily. I think a cockatiel for him and handraised budgie for me would have been perfect but we have mono. Poor mono.
LiaraTivona
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie

Postby parrotsareyay » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:00 pm

what about a green cheeked conure? They are very playful and lively and mutations would rule out copying Tika's coloring. Conures are said to be personalities stuffed into bodies nearly too tiny to accommodate that much spunk. They also ranked top three in most cuddliest in the popular magazine Birds USA for two years :lol:

They are known to be a bit nippier than other birds, but they do not bite as hard as many other birds (or so my experience tells...). They are quite louder than budgies, but some people say cockatiels could beat them in a music competition.
parrotsareyay
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Return to Parrot Species