Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What to get??

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

What to get??

Postby SKOShields » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:38 pm

Ive decided that I want to get a pet parrot, but I'm not quite sure what kind to get... I've owned a cockatiel and a parakeet in the past, neither of which were hand raised and were rather nasty, so I think I want something slightly larger. Something I can play with and cuddle with. I've been doing a good bit of research and I'm not sure if I want a Senegal or a Conure, or maybe even another Cockatiel... I've been leaning toward a Senegal, bc they're quieter than a Conure and better talkers than a 'tiel, but they're also way more expensive. I guess I just need an outsiders opinion, I'd really appreciate it :D
SKOShields
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Re: What to get??

Postby Mum2rory » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:04 am

Which ever parrot you get, they are expensive - If you take into account the cage, food, toys, perches, vet checks etc. It depends on what parrot you want and whether you can afford to keep him in the correct manner, bearing in mind that parrots do live for quite a number of years.
Budgies - Harry and Billy
Cinn GCC - Bailey
Blue Quaker - Malakai (Kai)
Cockatiel - Rhyly
Mum2rory
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies, 1 Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure, 1 Quaker , 1 Cockatiel (and 1 sadly missed Cockatiel who flew away Sept 24 2011. Miss you sweety)
Flight: Yes

Postby SKOShields » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:23 am

I understand that they're going to be expensive on the long run, I was just talking about the initial cost if the bird itself. But, if I find that a Senegal would make a better snuggle partner than a conure, I'd have no problem with the steeper price if its what im looking for. The cage, toys, food etc. will probably end up costing about the same since the birds are roughly the same sizes.
I'm asking more for opinions based on experience with each species and they're temperament and personalities. I want a bird that just wants to hang out with me, maybe learn a few tricks, a few words, but mostly one that will love me back.
SKOShields
Cockatiel

Postby Michael » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:04 am

SKOShields wrote:I want a bird that just wants to hang out with me, maybe learn a few tricks, a few words, but mostly one that will love me back.

Any parrot from a budgie to a macaw could be this way.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby SKOShields » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:35 am

Which more or less bribgs me back to where I was before. :?
SKOShields
Cockatiel

Postby cml » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:37 pm

Very few people on this forum seem to reccommend an amazon and even though I havnt owned one for long, Ive talked to people who have and there are a lot of undeserved prejudice about these birds. So far our white-panned amazon has been great, sure they are a lot of work, but most parrots are, and you need to know this before you commit to buying and living with one.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby SKOShields » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:42 pm

I never really considered an amazon, how big are they?
I'm looking for a relatively small bird, but one big enough that I wouldn't be too worried about accidentally hurting it.

I'm really looking more into a Senegal or maybe a Meyer's. I read Meyer's have similar personalities as the Senegals, but can be sweeter and more cuddly.
Sharon And Echo
SKOShields
Cockatiel

Postby GlassOnion » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:24 pm

I think if you're looking for clingy, cuddly, you're looking at Conures. Pois are cuddly, but not as expressive or clingy as Conures.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby SKOShields » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:27 pm

I was originally looking at conures, until I heard how loud they were.
That was another thing that attracted me to the Pois, they seem pretty mellow and don't scream as much.
SKOShields
Cockatiel

Postby GlassOnion » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:17 pm

Where did you read that all Conures were loud?

Aratinga Conures are loud yes, but Pyrrhura Conures are quieter in volume as long as they don't pick up the Aratinga call. Pyrrhuras include the Green Cheek Conure, Maroon Bellied Conure, Pearly Conure, Crimson Bellied Conure, Painted Conure.....etc
GlassOnion
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Next

Return to Parrot Species