Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal or Amazon?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Senegal or Amazon?

Postby RattyTatty » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:35 pm

I'm debating which one I should get. For owners of either one. Which do you think is better, personally? I do want a bird that is capable of talking abilties, although I've heard of some birds not talking, although they have the ability. I read that Amazons go through a hormonal stage where they become aggressive for a year or two, and I don't know if I could deal with an aggressive bird.

Are senegals really that playful/lovable?
RattyTatty
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Senegal or Amazon?

Postby Saerphe » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:40 am

WHOAH. First of all, have you ever had a bird before? And how much research have you already done? 'Cause Senegals and Amazons are two COMPLETELY different birds in regards to temperament and noise level.

Amazons are generally decent talkers and not afraid to show off their vocal abilities, but they are seriously LOUD. All birds will go through a hormonal stage, but Amazons have a breeding season each year where they get more aggressive and possessive. I really wouldn't reccommend them for a first-time bird owner. Besides that, Amazons can potentially live up to 70 years or more! That's a huge commitment.

Senegals aren't really well known talkers, but they generally pick up a few words and sounds in their lifetime. They're much quieter, and more independant, but they can be nippy. Senegals tend to be one person birds and can develop phobias fairly easily. HOWEVER, they are far more suited to first-time owners than an Amazon. It's all in how you socialize them. They're very smart and can learn TONS of tricks. Just look up Kili on YouTube. Senegals aren't quite as long lived as Amazons... I believe the average life span for Senegals is about 30 to 40 years, but that's still no small commitment.

To be totally honest, a budgie might just be the best starting point. They're small, affordable, very docile and can be excellent talkers! I believe it's a budgie who holds the record for the largest vocabulary with over 1700 words and phrases. The only thing to keep in mind is that budgies have a reaction time that's 7 times faster than humans, which results in their talking being very fast and high pitched. You have to teach them in such a way that it isn't as affected by their 'budgie accent', by saying what you want them to say much slower than you normally would, but still in a dramatic way or they won't pick it up. Parrots thrive on drama! ;)

Really though, talking ability is never a good reason to buy a bird. You might want to do TONS more research and seriously consider whether you're up for parrot ownership. If you still are, and you still want a larger bird, but are concerned about aggression issues, I would suggest rehoming an adult bird. Adult birds aren't as likely to undergo personality changes as babies, so what you see is what you get. Find an adult bird with a gentle personality that you really connect with and give it a new home. :)
Saerphe
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:38 pm

May I suggest finding a Parrot Rescue Center to visit or even volunteer. You will be able to see the personalities. And that is really what it is all about. Each little individual has a different personality. You might even find one there that bonds to you.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby GlassOnion » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:31 pm

Very different birds. I agree with Liz, do visit a rescue as you will need first-hands experience to get a grasp of various species.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Return to Parrot Species