Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Amazon Info??

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Amazon Info??

Postby laducockatiel » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:33 pm

Well, since you have volunteered at a shelter and you know what they were like, I guess if you feel that you can look after one, then go for it. I am also a teen and I have a cockatiel, I wouldn't go for a amazon, grey or anything that big yet, purely cos I'm still learning about birds and my parents don't want a loud bird, but I'd get a sennie or something. If you feel you are ready then good luck and keep us posted :thumbsup:
My blog: http://the-buzz-online.weebly.com

"If we don't stand for something, we may fall for anything."
- Malcolm X"
laducockatiel
Amazon

Flight: Yes

Postby wordpainter7 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:40 pm

Thanks for all the comments, looks like my pet parrot quest is going on hiatus because my family is moving and obviously it would be better to wait until we're settled in our new house. As far as species goes though, I had my heart set on a lilac crowned that was in a shelter, but she got adopted so now I've widened my search a bit. I'm thinking :gray: or :sun: or a Jenday conure right now, any thoughts? I know there is a big difference between the greys and conures so it's hard to compare but they both have pros and cons.
wordpainter7
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby liz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:16 am

Sorry you did not get the one you wanted. At least you know she got a good home. The shelters have strict adoption rules. I was turned down because my house was too noisy so I know they are strict.

In the end I was glad. I rescued :amazon2: Myrtle who really needed me. What a joy she has become in my life. (after I got her back to health)
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby wordpainter7 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:59 pm

Yeah, I was a bit disapointed but happy she was going to a good home. I hope this is her last home and she won't be passed around any more. This is her 6th home and she is only 3. :(
wordpainter7
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Mum2rory » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Personally, I dont think age is relevant, its just a number. What is more important is maturity, knowledge, being financially able to care for our birds. I know you say you have your life mapped out, but nobody does. I am a "mature" aged perosn (dont want to say old, but I am. LOL). Life has thrown me many curve balls, things that I did not expect and it happens to us all at some point. All I can say is, if you are truly committed to a lifetime of caring for your birds, know what is expected, have family support (esp at this number), then I say go for it - but WITH YOUR EYES OPEN. You sound as if you have done research, congrats for that.
Budgies - Harry and Billy
Cinn GCC - Bailey
Blue Quaker - Malakai (Kai)
Cockatiel - Rhyly
Mum2rory
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies, 1 Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure, 1 Quaker , 1 Cockatiel (and 1 sadly missed Cockatiel who flew away Sept 24 2011. Miss you sweety)

Previous

Return to Parrot Species