Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Which one for time-challenged people?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Which one for time-challenged people?

Postby Michael » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:42 am

I think some great advice has been listed here. Let me suggest rather than buying a parrot, just visiting one for now. If you have a parrot rescue, bird store, or just someone with a whole lot of parrots nearby, you may be able to make an arrangement to come and visit them once a while. Some places are paranoid and don't let anyone touch the birds but others appreciate the socialization and are more laid back. If you can do something like that, you can enjoy some parrot time without any time commitment, noise, mess, or hassle. Then when you retire you'll be familiar with parrots and know exactly what you want and what to do. Just don't get overbonded with the ones you visit and get tempted into keeping them right now.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Which one for time-challenged people?

Postby arnoldus » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:05 pm

You're also good at human psychology :-) Alas, temptation is nowadays something people give in to, without second tought.

I live in Belgium, there is no shelter for avian pets in the hole country AFAIK (only wild animals). The few bird stores there are don't want you anywhere in their shop if you're not going to buy something.

Luckily I've found a friendly and hospitable breeder of pyrrhuras, no doubt that I can hop in once in a while. Also, I have seen a house in the neighborhood with an African grey in the window, in a cage so small I wouldn't even put a couple of finches in them. I'll see if I can ring the bell and have a chat with the owners now and then.
arnoldus
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Parrot Species