Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Addition?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Addition?

Postby QuackQuack » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:51 pm

I am new to the board and have made an introduction and shared a link so that everyone can meet my partner in crime the OWA, QuackQuack. He is a very mellow and quiet bird :amazon: , and I love him very much. We spend most of the day together while he watches me cook and samples the fare or watches me clean while he makes MORE messes :lol:, but he has a clear preference for my husband :violin: This has made me dance :swaying: around the idea of getting a second bird. I am most interested in the poicephalus family or a caique. Mainly, I am interested in a caique. I am really wanting a bird who wants to play and have fun! QuackQuack is a VERY quiet bird, and never screams or wakes me up in the morning - I know I'M LUCKY :thumbsup: Because he is so good, I wondered what other species would be considered quieter or if the ones I'm thinking of would be quiet. Anyone own these species or have a comment? (I know that other than him, quiet birds don't exist)
This is QuackQuack in case you missed him in the introduction...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1u25Km7t5Q
QuackQuack
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Orange-Winged Amazon
Flight: No

Re: Addition?

Postby liz » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:41 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I have never understood why people with a really good kid think their second will be the same.

My kids are opposites and so are my Amazons :amazon: Rambo and :amazon2: Myrtle.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby cml » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:54 am

Our white-fronted, which is a species supposed to be known for their screams, never screams in the mornings or the evenings. In fact, Ive read tons of post of people that have parrots that DONT scream in the mornings/evenings. Maybe it's not as common as the general belief is?

For species, Ive heard a lot of good things about Pionus parrots, they are calm and quiet birds, and am myself looking towards (at least atm) those when we get our little guy a friend.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby Zanizaila » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:17 am

How about another amazon?
It is much more likely (but not guaranteed, it is never guaranteed) that they will get along, so you won't have to get them separate cage time (which is very tiring in the long run...), and they can keep each other company when you humans can't be there.

Once there was a guy who had a grey and wanted to get a B&G, because the grey only wanted to be with his parents.
Other people thought he should get his grey a girlfriend instead, and one of them said "Would you rather have a girl in bed or a Proboscis monkey on the balcony?"
Unfortunately for this grey, he got the Proboscis monkey on the balcony. :roll: :gray: :macaw:

But on a more serious note, getting your bird a friend of its own kind (yes I am looking for cagemates for my birds, but they are rare species and I have money trouble at the moment :() is about the best you can do for it. Studies have even proved that birds that have a partner live better lives and make better companions.
http://www.parrotchronicles.com/feature ... tstudy.htm
Proud slave of Saga and Cirino, and missing Yondo and Egon.
...and there is a world difference between supporting aviculture and supporting birds. - Greg Glendell
Zanizaila
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Meyers Parrot, Scarlet Macaw

Postby QuackQuack » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:46 am

I wouldn't say we are under and delusions about the effect a good bird will have on the chances of another good bird, but much like when people have other children, we loved the first one and are willing to roll the dice ;)
QuackQuack
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Orange-Winged Amazon

Postby liz » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:38 am

liz wrote:Welcome to the forum.

I have never understood why people with a really good kid think their second will be the same.

My kids are opposites and so are my Amazons :amazon: Rambo and :amazon2: Myrtle.

Rambo,who is 20, is like a 6 year old boy and Myrtle is like a 2 year old little sister. She idolizes him. He bullies her but she doesn't give up.
I was so please the morning I saw them eating out of the same food bowl. That was short lived.
Yesterday it looked like they were kissing. They were really having a tug of war. She lost.
They have seperate cages to keep their stuff. I had hoped to have just one. They raid each others cages even though the stuff is the same.
He loves her and calls to her when she is not in the same room but won't give her the satisfaction of knowing it. She follows him when he walks out of a room and always has to know where he is.
It is like a 6 year old brother with his 2 year old sister.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby wordpainter7 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:03 pm

This is just my experience, but at the shelter I volunteer at, the caiques :caique: are very agressive, especially toward the bigger birds (like :amazon: ). Of course, these birds have been through a lot and if you get a bird from a breeder and introduce them properly it might be fine, but I have heard caiques been called "the pitbulls of the bird world" and I definetly agree.
I think you'd be better off with another Amazon, but really, keep in mind any birds, regardless of species, might HATE each other and generalizations about species can never be 100% accurate. I mean, my :gcc: loathes water with a passion and those birds are supposed to love the water.
wordpainter7
Parrotlet

Postby CinnamonParrots » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:06 pm

If you want a slightly quieter bird, you can opt out for Pionus parrots, and a Blue-Headed pionus to be more precise. Because Blue-headed Pis are seen in the wild foraging on clay walls next to Amazons and Macaws. But with that said, they are actually not very quiet once they learn how to talk, but their personalities are more out going compared to some of the other species of Pionus parrots. But I'm not a huge fan of caiques either, although they are great if you have a lot of energy as they are like a child that will never stop playing. But caiques should be well socialized, and you need to put your foot down to establish some ground rules so they don't take over your house. I've also heard that Rose-Breasted cockatoos are among the "quieter" candidates of species of cockatoos...but because they're still cockatoos, I don't really think so, BUT I've never owned one or interacted with one long enough to know if they actually have a tendency to be really loud so I do not know (lol)-- however, I do know they have wonderful personalities and dispositions which make them great pets and they are very sweet and energetic!
CinnamonParrots
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: GC Conure, Fisher's Lovebird & Blue Budgie

Return to Parrot Species