Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Ringneck

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Ringneck

Postby Anneke » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:24 pm

Hi guys.
Someone I know breeds with ringnecks, and has 3 babies that she wants to give away.
I was quite keen to get one,but my dad said "No" simply beacause they scream too much.
How bad IS their screaming? Is it much worse than a 'tiel?
Thanks!
Anneke
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Ringneck

Postby Khaiqha » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:31 pm

I owned a ringneck as a child and own one now. I've never had issues with screaming, though they like to make noise when they're happy. The noise is comparible to a cockatiel. My current bird Ace though does let loose on two occasions - when something scares him, usually cars, or when I play YouTube vids of parrots.

Of course every bird is an individual and you could get a loud fellow. Training can help tone down noise. Also, birds tend to be as loud as their environments. I'm a quiet person, and my bird is quiet. My roommate tends to blare stuff on his speakers, and his budgie is quite vocal.
Khaiqha
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine

Postby Alex » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi,

When I was looking after two ringnecks for a friend. (Took care of them for a few months). They didn't really scream. I would say they are a bit louder than a cockatiel. But they scream as often. Maybe like once or twice a day (that's how the ones I had were)

All I can say they aren't as Loud as my Alexandrines. :]

Like the post above, all birds are different. :]
Alex
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine
Flight: No

Postby liz » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Anneke - If you are really ready for another kid, show your father Marni on YouTube. That will get him.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Anneke » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:38 am

Thanks Liz. That birdie is SERIOUSY cute!!!!! Oh, and in case you were wondering,Liz, I decided against breeding. I don't think I would be quite able to handle it expertly. Maybe in the future... :)
Anneke
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Budgie

Return to Parrot Species