Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

cockateil and gcc vs quaker

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

cockateil and gcc vs quaker

Postby marie83 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:12 am

At the moment I have a cockateil and a green cheeked conure. I'm considering expanding my flock and would really love a quaker. I've read loads about them and really think this species is 'the one' for my next bird.

I was looking for a quaker when I found Ollie and fell in love with him and as much as I love him and his cheeky personality, cuddliness and fearlessness I still have a really strong desire to have a quaker. At the moment I don't have the time for a 3rd bird but will within the next year or two.

Anyway I'm living in a large flat at the moment which isn't massively sound proof but having asked the neighbours how much they can hear my current two birds they have said they don't hear them much at all, only when they go on crazy screaming fits which isn't very often at all. So I would feel safe enough to have another green cheek or 'teil but what about a quaker?

Sooo now for my questions. Has anyone got a quaker and a cockateil or green cheek?

How does the frequency and volume of noise compare between the species?
What about the type of noise (eg higher or lower pitch)?

Also what about personality, would they be 'bossy' or completely fearless like my green cheek, or more laid back like the 'teils I've owned?

Would there be another species you would reccommend which are around the same noise level as a 'teil and GC conure? (just asking so I can do some research on species I haven't already considered) for example I've already looked at some sun conures, which I like alot, but the noise they make goes through me a bit and I don't think the neighbours would tolerate the noise.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: cockateil and gcc vs quaker

Postby Andromeda » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:16 am

I had a Quaker parrot named Pookie growing up. I loved him so very, very much. I still think about him all the time.

I have a GCC now. Quakers are quieter than green cheeks. My green cheek is quiet by conure standards but he does one noise when he's upset or scared that I call "the conure scream" that is pretty loud. Quakers don't have anything like that.

It's been about 10 years since I had my Quaker so I don't recall if their voices are higher or lower pitched but I do know that my Quaker talked a lot and sang lots of songs that I taught him. He wasn't "loud" but sometimes when you would try to watch TV he'd start saying all his words and you'd turn it up and he'd just increase the volume. Haha!

He was not nearly as bossy and fearless as my GCC. Not even close. I've never owned a cockatiel so I can't make that comparison; I don't know if I'd say Quakers are "laid back" but mine was not super busy and high-energy like my GCC. He liked to play with his toys, take baths, be held and petted, sing while he was in the shower with me, etc.

As far as other species goes, I am completely in love with Poicephalus. I have a brown headed parrot and he is so beautiful and smart. I don't have a Senegal but I love watching videos of Senegals. As far as volume goes his natural calls are quieter than my GCC.
Andromeda
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: brown-headed parrot, green cheek conure

Postby lwis » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:59 pm

This may not be relevant to the original question, as marie83 is specifically asking about quakers, but since she is looking into adding to her flock, it might be. I am wondering, Andromeda, how does your brown headed parrot and your GCC get along? I hear senegals don't always get along with other birds, does this go for all of the Poicephalus group?
lwis
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Andromeda » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:26 pm

lwis wrote:This may not be relevant to the original question, as marie83 is specifically asking about quakers, but since she is looking into adding to her flock, it might be. I am wondering, Andromeda, how does your brown headed parrot and your GCC get along? I hear senegals don't always get along with other birds, does this go for all of the Poicephalus group?

They don't get along at all. When I adopted my GCC I was hoping to give my brown head a friend but alas, it didn't turn out that way.

I think Jimmy (my brown head) wanted to be friends with Bubba because when I first introduced them his body language was saying "I'm curious" (brown headed parrots silently open and close their beak repeatedly when they're curious).

Then a few days later Bubba suddenly flew over to Jimmy's cage and ran him off of it. After a few rounds of being chased by Bubba, Jimmy learned pretty quickly that Bubba was aggressive toward him and now Jimmy is also aggressive toward Bubba. Sometimes Jimmy flies away but sometimes he fights back and I have to break it up.

It's been that way ever since; if they're out of their cages I can't leave them alone together because Bubba will bully Jimmy. It rarely happens anymore but from time to time Bubba will still go after him for no apparent reason.

I will never know for sure but I'm pretty convinced based on his body language that Jimmy would have been friends with Bubba if Bubba had not been so aggressive.

When I adopted Bubba his original owner told me he would chase and bully their dog, and they had a boxer! He's a bully and does not get along well with other animals, apparently.
Andromeda
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: brown-headed parrot, green cheek conure

Return to Parrot Species