Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Cape coming Thursday- WooHoo!

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

New Cape coming Thursday- WooHoo!

Postby fishbait » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:25 am

Sooooooo excited, we have been waiting/searching for a male baby since December and we finally connected!!

Questions....anyone with capes.....does your cape sleep in a happy hut/ bird tent? I know my sun conure loves hers!

Also what does a person use to cover a huge cage (at night)....4' x 3' x 72" tall? just a blanket?

Also since he is 4mos do you think i should an old blanket in the bottom of cage to cushion if he falls?? Not sure how coordinated they are at this young age. Quincy (sun conure) was 6mos when she picked me for an owner and fell from a perch a few times in her cage the first month we had her.

Thanks!
fishbait
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Quincy- Sun Conure, Dexter- Cape- Pff, Iggy- Greater Vasa
Flight: Yes

Re: New Cape coming Thursday- WooHoo!

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:44 am

fishbait wrote:Sooooooo excited, we have been waiting/searching for a male baby since December and we finally connected!!

Lucky you, I had to wait from like October till June!

fishbait wrote:Questions....anyone with capes.....does your cape sleep in a happy hut/ bird tent? I know my sun conure loves hers!

No. Not that I ever offered it but I don't think it's a good idea providing nest like opportunities for poicephalus cause it makes them hormonal. And a hormonal poicephalus can get very aggressive.

fishbait wrote:Also what does a person use to cover a huge cage (at night)....4' x 3' x 72" tall? just a blanket?

I use black king sized sheets from walmart. The cheaper ones have less thread so they are more breathable. If it's not big enough, consider stitching two together. I wouldn't use a blanket, I think that's too hot.

fishbait wrote:Also since he is 4mos do you think i should an old blanket in the bottom of cage to cushion if he falls?? Not sure how coordinated they are at this young age.

Truman still falls down in his cage from time to time. Not that much. But when he just arrived he was plummeting to the bottom on a regular basis. Heck, the breeder and I suspected that he just does this on purpose. He didn't know how to climb down so he'd just do a cannonball. Seems to be a Cape thing. However, it's also part of the learning process. Then again it took him a LONG time to learn out of doing that. Doesn't seem to hurt them that much or he'd stop doing the Cape Plummet.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby fishbait » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:33 pm

Thanks for the reply Michael!

Cape cannonball.....priceless ....i almost spit my pop all over the puter screen!

I hope mine does not do such.....it is a long fall from his main perch!

What are your thoughts on zu-preem? I personally like Roudy bush for my conure and have heard some debate on the zu-preem's dyed pellets maybe being not so good for any birds long term. He was weaned on the Zu preem.

Kirk
fishbait
Parrotlet

Postby fishbait » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:26 pm

I am so in love with my baby.. ............what a majesitic and handsome bird..........hope to get my sun conure aquainted.
fishbait
Parrotlet

Postby Michael » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:17 pm

You got your baby and had the nerve not to even post pictures!?
Michael
Macaw

Postby fishbait » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:12 pm

I've had ard time trying to post pictures on the site will try again tomorrow at lunch time!
fishbait
Parrotlet

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:46 am

575px is the recommended width or less. 800px is the recommended maximum height. Resize your pics beforehand and post to photobucket, flicker, or some website. Get the URL of the actual image (left click on it and copy image url or image properties to find the URL), then post it here between the img tags by hilighting the url in your text body and clicking "Img" button above the editor. You can also upload small images as an attachment but not recommended.
Michael
Macaw

Postby fishbait » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:13 pm

Dexter is so awesome with his little growls and soft whines and screechs! He is warming up to us and is starting to be a clown!

With that said he sure falls off of his perch and toys often. We put a big dog pillow in the cage (inside height is 60" from top to cage floor) and this has helped!

I want to harness train him soon (he is 4mos old) and am looking to find recomendations on type/brands and size for him.

Those videos Michael created will come in handy!!!

Kirk
fishbait
Parrotlet

Postby Michael » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:38 pm

Michael
Macaw