Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Jenday Conures?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Jenday Conures?

Postby Pomlover2586 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:45 am

Can you guys fill me on on the good and bad of Jenday conures? There is one for sale on Craigslist- owner went to medical school, neighbor adpted 1 month ago- son won't do his part to clean yada yada....the rehoming fee is good and the bird comes with a cage- though I may replace it.

One thing that caught my eye was the guy mentioned painting the cage last weekend. Warning signals went off- toxic? How would I know if the bird has been poisoned or otherwise sickened by his "freshened up" cage?

My current research shows Jendays to be about the size of the Suns but more quiet like the GCC. Is this accurate? What are their energy levels like? Cuddly and affectionate? Nippy habits?

Thanks so much guys! I know i've been asking a LOT of questions lately.
Iago- WBC
Zazu- BHC
Pomlover2586
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White Bellied Caique, Black Headed Caique
Flight: No

Re: Jenday Conures?

Postby GlassOnion » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:22 am

Not quiet, your info is inaccurate. Same volume and screaming tendencies as Suns and other Aratingas.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot
Flight: Yes

Postby Cage Cleaner » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:40 am

Gl
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Pomlover2586 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm

Our apartment complex is bird firendly. we have moloccan cockatoos, amazons, and various other birds in the complex. I spoke to our manager about conures and she confirmed thats fine. im more concerned with biting habits, socalization habits, and self mutilating tendencies of Jendays. any thoughts?
Iago- WBC
Zazu- BHC
Pomlover2586
Conure

Postby Cage Cleaner » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:37 pm

Ok
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Pomlover2586 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:15 am

Well we met the Jenday last night....eh was our final answer. Bird was pretty and the right size. Seemed to like my husband well enough, but after 2 or 3 times of me holding her she started biting me pretty good. Didn't draw blood, but also wouldn't step up for me either.

Hubby and I decided between the nipping and the loud screech that Jendays probably won't work for us. We're going to go look at some GCC babies on Saturday.....Maybe they'll fit? :gcc:
Iago- WBC
Zazu- BHC
Pomlover2586
Conure

Postby Mangoismybird » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:25 pm

Well, I have one Jenday, and while I haven't owned any other birds besides two cockatiels, I'll inform you the best I can! :jenday:

Mine is the same size as other suns that I've met, maybe a little smaller, and of the same build. The colors on her are very very bright! I especially love the blue on her flight feathers, which I'm letting grow out, and the deep red on her belly that you don't see as much in suns.

She is high energy, so I keep about six toys in her cage (a plush angry bird, swing/hoop, foraging chewie, and three small plastic toys.) She also has some foot toys to play with when she's out. She is well behaved though and will keep herself entertained all day when i'm at school, and even will play by herself when I'm workign on something and she's in the cage.

As for screaming, she is loud, I won't deny that. I haven't heard her real scream since about the time I've purchased her - instead she just imitates my whistling because that's how I call to her. It's not exactly a pleasant sound, but I'm proud to say that she rarely screams. Only when I call to her when I get home, and occasionally if she hears me in another room. :D

One habit we're working through right now is biting - she has good days and bad when she'll get sensitive about me trying to touch her wings, flipping her over, and generally just trying to get her socialized. She's never drawn blood, I don't think she is able to, but it DOES hurt. We are working through it though, and it is a new phase.

She's very smart, too. (Ah! I'm rambling! But I'm proud of this. :lol: ) We've been working on trick training for the past two weeks and she knows already to step up (well...she knew this one.), wave, nod her head, play dead, and we're working on her target training and circle! Vocally the breed isn't strong (this is what I've heard) and she isn't very good at speaking, but when she gets new food in the morning she can be talkative and she does imitate my whistling, clucking, "yea", my singing (it makes me look bad!) and is working on a very rough version of her name at the moment. It's cute to see her trying and experimenting with the sounds.

I'm not a bird expert by any means, but if you have any questions on my personal experience (I've had my bird for about seven months now.) feel free to drop me a message. :airmail: I don't know if you have instagram (for iphone or ipod) but I have an account devoted to only photos of her under the same account as my user name. ;) That's a lot of images that should give you an idea of her personality.

Whew! That was a lot. Hopefully some of it helps. ;)

I would recommend one, by the way. :jenday:

- Mango & Her Human
Mangoismybird
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conure, Medium Sulphur Crested Cockatoo

Postby Acka » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:13 am

I have a yellow sided GCC :gcc: . He is cuddly playful and follows me around the house !. They are smart i got him yesterday and he can already fly to me on cue. I think they are one of the best parrots. :gcc: :gcc: :gcc:
Acka
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 yellow sided Green Cheek Conure

Return to Parrot Species