Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

dog saliva

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

dog saliva

Postby cknowles » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:27 pm

So I am hand feeding three baby gcc and I plan on keeping one and my parents plan on keeping one. We were going to house them in our living room but then I remembered something, my huge dog. He his the most gentle creature on earth and wouldn't hurt them, but he drools a lot and shakes his head which makes the slime go everywhere. So would this mean I cant house them in the living room?
Thank you in advance.
cknowles
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Breeding pair of green cheek conures
Flight: Yes

Re: dog saliva

Postby brfussne » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:43 pm

Dog saliva is toxic to parrots!! Do not let your dog even lick them! Babies are very delicate & fragile. I would suggest you house them in a seperate room where your dog cannot get to them.
brfussne
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby cknowles » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:05 pm

No I would never let my dog lick them or get that close I know it is toxic. I just wanted to know about flying slime. So thank you for the advice.
cknowles
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Breeding pair of green cheek conures

Postby Shelby » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:41 pm

You can't be sure that flying drool won't end up on the parrots or their living area (cage/nest box/etc) so I think you should house them in another room where the dog won't be able to go.
Shelby
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: I don't have a bird yet
Flight: No

Postby Lovebird Lady » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:58 pm

Another thing to watch out for too, is not to allow your birds to preen your dogs. Some owner allow this and there is again the risk of the bird contracting gram negative bacteria or Ecoli, which are present in canine saliva, if the birds ingest the dog's saliva after that dog has licked itself :o
Lovebird Lady
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Male Lutino Peach-Faced Lovebirds

Postby jaimmorr » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Actually, I've read from 3 different sources now that dog saliva is NOT toxic, like cat saliva is. It is bad for birds, just like human saliva is bad for birds. The same bacteria that warrants a worry from human saliva is the one in dog saliva. Cat saliva, however, IS extremely toxic and the bird can die from the ca simply licking an open wound on the bird. Correct me if I'm wrong, but why would an avian veterinarian put that in print if it was false information?
jaimmorr
Cockatiel

Postby marie83 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:39 am

I don't think the saliva itself is toxic, its the bacteria contained in it that can be. It doesn't matter what source that saliva is from, it is still high risk. That is why some ignorant owners go years letting their poor pet eat from their mouth, pick their teeth (YUK), letting their dogs lick the bird etc with no problems, then one day the birds extremely sick or dead....

...and when you say three different sources, how do you mean? You will be suprised on the internet what looks like 3 different resources isn't actually 3 different resources. Alot of stuff is just copied from one place or edited slightly to make it look different when in actual fact its the exact same thing.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby jaimmorr » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:32 am

I read it in a book, a magazine, and on the internet. Hmm. It said that the bacteria in human saliva and dog saliva is bad for the bird, but that CAT saliva is poisonous.
jaimmorr
Cockatiel

Postby Michael » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:38 am

I don't see how this matters at all. Whether it will instantly kill the bird or make it extremely sick is irrelevant. DON'T DO IT. Cats/Dogs do not belong with parrots. Simple.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby jaimmorr » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:46 am

Michael wrote:I don't see how this matters at all. Whether it will instantly kill the bird or make it extremely sick is irrelevant. DON'T DO IT. Cats/Dogs do not belong with parrots. Simple.

Wasn't saying you should let your dog lick your bird. Just was pointing out something I had read.
jaimmorr
Cockatiel

Return to Parrot Species