Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The next bird?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: The next bird?

Postby Mangoismybird » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:28 pm

It seems like something I should look into then :) i will definitely research. And pennyandrocky, how did you get in touch with a fostered bird? Is there some sort of program?
Mangoismybird
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conure, Medium Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Flight: No

Postby pennyandrocky » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:36 pm

i was looking for help with an amazon that my boyfriend bought me to replace the one i lost.he hated me and i wanted to get him rehabbed this was the first place that responded within the hour and would help me without me having to surrender, even though i decided it was best for him.i put in a search for parrot rescue and found lovemyparrots.she was willing to come to my home for free to help me keep him but it didn't work out, so i surrendered him and she found mya :corella: for us.she's happy with us and rocky :amazon: was adopted . i still get updates about him he's happy in his new home.you do have to be approved and spend time with the bird then they do a home visit and you sign contracts saying you won't breed and if you can no longer keep the bird it goes back to them.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Postby Mangoismybird » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Pennyandrocky, I researched them and they look like an awesome program! Also probably close enough for a road trip visit. :) I only saw one bird under adoption though, might there be more? If its their only bird I don't know if I'd take her, she has a plucking problem (or did) and I have no experience on how to handle that :(
Mangoismybird
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conure, Medium Sulphur Crested Cockatoo

Postby pennyandrocky » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:43 am

yes she has more,she doesn't put all of them up.she spends alot of time doing shows to educate,vet trips and traveling to pick up birds she's getting new ones every week right now just send her an email.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Postby Mangoismybird » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:30 pm

Alright. :) Thank you!
Mangoismybird
Lovebird

Postby Grey_Moon » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:37 am

I'm just putting this out there, but I would seriously take into consideration the 'worst case scenario'.

I *had* three birds at one time in my life, Altair a linneolated parakeet who was 'wild' but tamed down (he died mysteriously a few years ago), Jacko my TAG and Sully a cockatiel. I now only have Jacko and it will stay that way.
I learned the hard way that often, birds do not want to share. Sully developed a screaming problem from the stress of being chased and harassed by Jacko (who did intend to wound him and had bitten his feet and torn out his toenail). Jacko was stressed out and angry all the time, plucking even more due to this 'intruder'--neither of them got to come out as much as they'd like, and Sully was made chronically ill due to stress (vet bills every month). It was *hell*. Sully (and he was my first bird I'd raised from a juvenile---I loved him very much and we were bonded) always got the short end of the stick for everything, time, attention, training...it wasn't fair to any of us. So, even though it killed me (and I fought my way through the situation for five years determined never to 'abandon' him) he was placed in a local rescue and now lives very happily with a retired couple. Jacko and I are still slugging through my college years, but we're doing the best we can. I tell you though, time is tight.

Your Jenday and you share a very special relationship---there is no guarantee your bird will accept or want the newcomer around. What then? Your Jenday only now gets half as much of your time and any time its time for an outing---only one can come because if not they'll fight and risk getting hurt. You've doubled your cleaning time and vet bills...and you've also doubled monthly toy/food/perch purchases...unless you now have to split that amount between two birds. So there's less to go around.

Especially since you'll be leaving for college soon and in the next 10 years or so your time will be tight I will recommend *against* getting another bird and instead ask yourself why it is you want another bird? Is it some sort of 'need' or 'want' that your current bird isn't satisfying? Put the energy, time and money into spoiling and training your current bird and working on developing your relationship.
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey

Postby pennyandrocky » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:53 am

that's not always true. alot of birds,since they do live in flocks in the wild, benifit from having another bird.my penny :gcc: has never lived without another bird so when i lost my cebal :amazon: he went through a horrible mourning period.my :amazon: lived 23 years without another bird but when an ex decided to drop off a parakeet i saw my cebal really enjoyed having another bird around so after the parakeet passed i got him a :rainbow: he had fun with her.unfortunatly the :rainbow: loved my aunt more than me so i sent her to live with her and she gave me penny who cebal loved more than any other and would chase him around begging to be preened.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Postby Grey_Moon » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:43 am

Penny--I do agree. But its also important to think of the other side of the coin and what it will mean for all involved if the birds do not get along.
For all intents n purposes her Jenday could totally benefit---but its important to be prepared and realize what it means if the birds do not get along.
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey

Postby GlassOnion » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:45 pm

That's why I think rescuing or going with an adoption program is best- if it doesn't work out, the rescue or sanctuary will take the bird back.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby Mangoismybird » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:13 pm

Thank for you all your replies on this subject!

I read them and I've been thinking hard about my next bird. Either way I have six months to continue to mull everything over.

In response to GlassOnion;
Especially since you'll be leaving for college soon and in the next 10 years or so your time will be tight I will recommend *against* getting another bird and instead ask yourself why it is you want another bird? Is it some sort of 'need' or 'want' that your current bird isn't satisfying? Put the energy, time and money into spoiling and training your current bird and working on developing your relationship.

I had to think about this one. I suppose it is something I should be thinking about carefully, and I appreciate your suggestion. When asking myself what my current bird wasn't satisfying though, I had to think. The answer is that there isn't any gap - I love my bird, and I'm certainly not bored with her. I'm always taming her and and training her (and spoiling her!) and I can see the results in our relationship.

The reason I want another bird is just because I want one. To enjoy it, have more fun, a friend for my bird (maybe). It would be amazing to have a bird like that in my life. I could argue that my life was still satisfying with my first bird too: so why did I have to get her? Why didn't I put my energy into other things? But having her in my life made it a lot more enjoyable, and I can barely imagine how awesome a new addition would be. ;)

Of course I have to think about all the complications, but there's a little response, I hope, that would help you see my point of view.
Mangoismybird
Lovebird

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species