Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The next bird?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

The next bird?

Postby Mangoismybird » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:51 pm

Hi! So recently my mom's been bribing me with a new parrot in exchange for straight A's by the end of this year. ;) So far I've been keeping it up - and so I've been looking into a new parrot. She has offered to let me get ANY parrot with a max spending of 1k on her side, and I also have an additional 1k to contribute. So what do you guys think the right bird for me would be?

I currently own a Jenday Conure. She stays in my room and is clipped, but I'm letting her flight feathers grow out. I have owned two 'tiels in the past. We get on very well, and whenever I'm home - she's with me. I have plenty of time for another bird and I think I'm ready for a bigger challenge - it's nice to see all the socializing and training with Mango pay off.

Here are what i want:
* Something that can stay in the same room as my conure.
* It would be nice if it could be friendly with my conure, but they would live in separate cages.
* I want something a little bit bigger.
* I don't care about color. ;)
* I want something smart, fun, and playful. Cuddly would be really nice!
* Talking is a bonus! It can be loud too or a "screamer".
* I do take vacations about twice a year for a week or two at time. It needs to be able to be with a sitter during this time, probably with a friend who is familiar with birds (owns a grey.)

The one thing I'm worried about with a bigger bird is the bite. Mango initially was very nippy and i got bit quite a few times. This was mostly solved with her becoming more balanced, trusting me, and me using Michael's advice. While I've never been afraid or hesitant due to biting, I don't know how I'd exactly ignore a bite to the bone.

Size wise, I saw an adorable severe mini macaw that looked about perfect. :D

Your thoughts? This -is- all hypothetical, and I would be very willing to put in the time, research, and money to get what I wanted. :3

Thank you in advance.
Mangoismybird
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conure, Medium Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Flight: No

Re: The next bird?

Postby GlassOnion » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:07 pm

I would suggest against a Severe, they are very challenging for the most people. Many develop jealousies and can be aggressive. I need to ask, what would happen to the birds when you go to college or when your birds start attacking a significant other in the future?
GlassOnion
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot
Flight: Yes

Postby GlassOnion » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:08 pm

That being said, I would go for a Timneh Grey or a Cape parrot :)
GlassOnion
African Grey

Postby Mangoismybird » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:17 pm

GlassOnion - I figured the same from what I've read about them, but I think they're small enough to be compatible my conure? I'm not too certain about parrot-parrot relations.

And for my freshman year of college my parents have agreed to take care of my bird, along with my siblings (who are younger). I would then be moving out to a place where I could have my birds with me. Hopefully I will be close by enough to visit my baby, or babies, often!
Mangoismybird
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conure, Medium Sulphur Crested Cockatoo

Postby pennyandrocky » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:37 pm

i was a teenager when i inherited my amazon.when i moved out of my mother's house i had to leave him for about 6 months,i would go and visit regularly but i noticed major issues i told my roomate he had to come home with me that day and if she had a problem i would not be coming back and she would have to find another roomate.she didn't want to give up my rent so i brought him home and had to start over from begining.it's not that he didn't like my mother or she mistreated him in any way she just wasn't me.it may not happen with the bird you have now or the one your thinking about but you have to be aware how attached they become to routine and having you around.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby Mangoismybird » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:59 pm

Pennyandrocky - I'm aware of what can happen. However, I would rather redo any training and rebond with my bird then give her away. :) I still have a couple years, and I'm hoping by socializing her with my siblings she'd be happy when I'm gone. I doubt I'll be allowed to bring her to my first year, but I will sure try to get her to be come.

How is your Amazon now? Do you think the price of not seeing your Amazon for a year was worth getting him early, or would you have rather waited?

Any advice would be appreciated. I would rather the bird be happy than I, and I do already have Mango. :jenday:
Mangoismybird
Lovebird

Postby pennyandrocky » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:08 pm

unfortunatly my amazon passed last winter.but i would do it again, though i would not have moved with someone else and would have taken him with me.i don't think i suggested you rehome your bird, i just think it's going to be harder with 2 but i could be wrong and your birds having eachother may even make the seperation from you an easier adjustment.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Postby Mangoismybird » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:08 pm

Pennyandrocky - I'm sorry :( And I suppose I'll see, I wouldn't be seriously looking into a bird until my report card comes in at the end - and who knows if I can even keep this up?

And what does everyone think about "inheriting" or adopting birds? I know there can be a lot of problems but I would be at least willing to try to help an older bird. I don't need a full 50 years to enjoy a bird, and there are so many birds that are just passed on when all they need is just a little more love, attention, and training.
Mangoismybird
Lovebird

Postby pennyandrocky » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:03 am

my mya's :corella: adopted.i prefer adopted you already know what your getting. i spoke on the phone to her foster home for two weeks evey night to find out every possible thing about her.the one i went to stay in touch and if i ever have problems with vet bills or anything else they will help.there are too many homeless birds out there for me to ever go to a breeder.last night we were just talking about fostering when our son gets older.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Postby GlassOnion » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:51 am

With adults, what you see is what you get. I got my Apple as a rehome from Craigslist when he was 4.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Next

Return to Parrot Species