Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help on First Bird!

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Help on First Bird!

Postby JAS » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:02 pm

I am 13 years old and I think I am ready for my first bird. My sister has a Jenday Conure, and I see her, and her bird having so much fun everyday. I really want a bird, although I am not sure what I can handle.
~I would like a bird about the size of my sisters Jenday conure :jenday:
~(Not needed) Some tricks or words would be cool.
~ estremely friendly
~ cuddly
~ personality
~ I take vacations, so a bird that won't get depressed
I do play some sports, and have practice and games two, or three times a week. I don't want to have this bird, and not be there for it. I do think I am at home enough though to take care of it. Please post all suggestions, I will take the advice very seriously. Thank You!
JAS
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Help on First Bird!

Postby pennyandrocky » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:44 pm

play with your sister's bird.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Postby sophiacs123 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Why dont you get a `green cheek
sophiacs123
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: cinnamon green cheek conure

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:25 pm

http://trainedparrot.com/index.php?bid= ... oung+Child

I don't recommend parrots as pets to anyone who isn't living independently. Even when a young adult is very caring, committed and responsible (which isn't always the case), ultimately they are at their parent's discretion. And unless the parents are familiar and experienced in caring for parrots, things won't go very well. Parrots are very messy and destructive and parents may not appreciate that in their home. Furthermore flight can pose an issue. Also teflon fumes can kill a bird so all cookware would need to be replaced. When it's your own home, you can make priorities and take care to make the home suitable for a flying animal with a sensitive respiratory system. While you're living with your parents, it's beyond your control. I suggest playing with your sister's and helping out. The experience you gain now will be very helpful when you're old enough to live on your own and consider getting one.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Rokisha » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:18 am

First, love the link and plan on getting said games for both my kids. (They both have to have one each or they end up fighting. Neither like to share to much lol) Second.... lmao at the end of the vid... your shoe and pants... lol. Your sisters adorable btw! :D
Rokisha
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot.

Postby Saerphe » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:08 am

As someone who tried keeping a bird around your age, and not having it work out, I would suggest you wait for a while, especially if you're interested in the medium-sized birds. There's just too much that can change in your life right now, and not only would you have to worry about training your bird once you got it, you'd have to worry about making sure it would get along with your sister's bird.

I suggest asking your sister if you can play with her bird now and then for now. That way, you can enjoy it now, and in a few years when you're on your own and have had lots of time to research and think about if you still really want a bird, then you can look into getting one. :)
Saerphe
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby ChewToy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:22 am

well I'm not sure the size of your sisters conure, but I currently have a budgie who I am loving having around. they're a bit cheaper to keep than most bigger birds but are still able to learn tricks and young males will talk. budgies can be pretty cuddly and they just plain look adorable. :)
ChewToy
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Recessive pied budgerigar

Postby coleen » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:42 am

I attend to agree with Micheal, you should wait, but, if your not going to a parakeet or cockatiel make great companions with great personalities! Both can learn to talk & do tricks, but it depends on the bird & it depends on how much care & time you spend with it. Birds need quite alot of attention. Thats why it's never recommended for an adolescent to have a birds for pets, as you have school, activities & just plain ole wanting to hang out with friends. Something to think about. Good luck!
Coleen
coleen
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: timneh african grey, congo african grey, & a parrotlet

Return to Parrot Species