Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird Store Trip! (And a question)

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Bird Store Trip! (And a question)

Postby jaimmorr » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi (again) everyone!

Well, I went to a (very reputable) bird store today. Spent about 2 hours there (would definitely have spent more if my friend wasn't complaining about wanting to leave...) handling different birds and babies. I spent the most time with a Meyer's baby. He was so sweet. He just fell asleep in my hand (they had just eaten, so were sleepy). He was a bit "beak-y" but I'm sure that was just a baby thing. I also spent some time with a GCC, and he was very "beak-y" but not enough pressure to hurt. I also got to hold a Cockatiel. Out of the three, I really enjoyed the Meyer's and the Cockatiel the most. The Meyer's was just very sweet and I was comfortable holding him, etc. The Cockatiel was also sweet, and perched on my hand for a good 20 mins or so, cocking his head at me and whistling to me.

It's so hard to choose a species! I won't be getting one for awhile, so I don't have to make a decision fast. But still, I would really like to do my research on one specific species instead of trying to take in all the information of all species at once. :lol:

So, I do have one question... The more I read, the more I find myself drawn to Amazon parrots... Is it completely stupid of me to want an Amazon as my first bird? I do think the whole "starter bird" is kind of idiotic... But, would it be completely ignorant of me to get an Amazon baby as my first? Of course, I would do all the research possible first. And I'm not even sure if that's the bird for me. But if it's a possibility, I would love to do more extensive research and handle a few. I'd love some experienced opinions on this. :)

Thanks!
jaimmorr
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Bird Store Trip! (And a question)

Postby pennyandrocky » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:50 pm

i don't believe in starters either. i do believe in knowing what your in for.my first was an :amazon: i inherited him when my grandmother passed he was vey sweet and affectionate with me but we did grow up together and i've been told my amazon was not the norm.if an amazon is really what you want i would suggest volunteering at a shelter alot of :amazon: end up there as they can be a handful plus you could meet your dream bird and end up adopting which would be better since then you'll know exactly what your getting in your first bird or you can find out they're not the bird for you and that would save alot of money.plus it would gain experiance for you interacting with different types of birds to show you what you can handle without the huge commitment of 80 years.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Postby jaimmorr » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:25 pm

Thank you for your reply!

After thinking about it tonight and talking it over with some owners of Amazons, I have decided against getting one. I am 99% sure I am going to go with the Meyer's. :)
jaimmorr
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby cml » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:41 am

Amazons are not easy birds, but its very rewarding to own one.

We struggle with Stitch sometimes with some behaviour, but he is incredibly intelligent. You can really see his personality shining through. He is amazing at trick training as well, most tricks are learnt in a session or two!

He can be moody sometimes, especially since we got Leroy, Stitch is behaving more like a bird and less like a human (which I think he thought himself as before he got his buddy). He bites when he gets angry, and damn the bites hurt, but we are working to get back to where we were with next to no biting. But he isnt always moody, he can be the biggest cuddlebug there is =), wanting to be petted for an hour!

Stitch was our first bird, and yes, amazons are difficult birds to keep, but we love him and wouldnt trade him for anything! It takes time and comittment though, but really its an interest me and my wife share so it doesnt matter that the birds take up a big part of everyday!

With any bird, you have the potential for a very rewarding bond, regardless of the species you decide upon =)!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby Saerphe » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:59 am

Amazons can be really hot-tempered and difficult to handle. But they have big personalities with a lot of spunk. They know what they want, and they're not afraid to go after it.

I don't own any birds, but there's a Double Yellow Headed Amazon at a pet store near my school that I play with often. I love her to pieces, but I know I couldn't be a good owner for her as I am now. DYHs are one of the three most hot-headed Amazons, along with Yellow Napes and Blue Fronts.

You could maybe try a Pionus parrot? They're related to Amazons, but more laid back, quieter, and less likely to bite. If you still have your heart set on an Amazon, try to meet lots of individuals and see if you can find a species that would mesh well with your lifestyle. Maybe consider rehoming an adult; once babies hit puberty, their personalities can drastically change. With a full-grown bird, what you see is what you get.
Saerphe
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby GlassOnion » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:57 pm

I know a number of people who have Amazons. And the males become bloodthirsty for family members of the 'chosen ones' and even attack the 'ones' when the instinct to protect kicks in.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby cml » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:31 pm

GlassOnion wrote:I know a number of people who have Amazons. And the males become bloodthirsty for family members of the 'chosen ones' and even attack the 'ones' when the instinct to protect kicks in.

Stitch was agressive towards my wife, but with a lot of training and taming, they now have a great relationship =), where she actually gets bitten less often than me ^^!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Return to Parrot Species