Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Are African Grey's usually bossy?

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Are African Grey's usually bossy?

Postby GreenWing » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:19 pm

When Chance wants something, she wants it NOW. Emphasis on the NOW, which she says -- and not nicely.

Some examples:

"Step up, NOW."
"Eat. Dish. NOW."
"Come on, we gotta go. Bed."
"TIME FOR BED!"
"Nooooooow!!!"

I'm sure there's more. You get the point.
Are other Grey's like this? Bossy, in general?
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: Are African Grey's usually bossy?

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:59 pm

Greys can be pretty bossy but I think this one came from a preschool teacher! :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:05 am

Hmmm, I don't find them bossy at all. Mine (and the ones I used to care for) were actually quite amenable to doing what they were asked to do and, when they asked for anything (always food), they simply asked and, as they were given whatever it was they wanted, they stopped asking. BUT my parrots follow such a precise routine that there is very little 'room' for they to ask for anything.

Now, if she follows her request with a strong 'now', that is something that she learned from her humans so I am thinking that either you or your husband use the 'now' when you have to repeat your request so she learned it. They are very smart.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:01 pm

Chance came to me when she was 9 years old, so maybe it's something she learned in the past? We, her humans, don't make such demands, lol. I think it's something she learned in the past but wasn't sure if this was a unique personality trait!
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:43 am

Yes, it must be something she learned from a past human but isn't it something how they apply words correctly?!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations