Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I don't know where to start?!

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

I don't know where to start?!

Postby parrotlover » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:53 am

Hey guys I dpon't know how to start training Chevy! I guess she knows that when it clicks she gets a treat? But when I do do this with her she's pain in the butt and can be an azzwhole lol..... :cry: Please help someone?...... :cry:
I Love Chevy! :) Image
parrotlover
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: I don't know where to start?!

Postby coolhady13 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:52 pm

with my cockatiel i started target training then wave etc., im following Michael's training guide , go to trainedparrot.com scroll down a little you will find a box on the left called Trick Training Guides you can follow it :) Good Luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:greycockatiel: Missy
coolhady13
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: budgies , cockatiel

Postby Mum2rory » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi Parrotlover, glad your "back", missed hearing about Chevy. Sounds like my tiel. Rory is a brat - but a lovable, snugglebug one. Wouldnt change a thing about ther. I am not going to trick train her, my only want is that she steps up when asked, doesnt fight with other birds or bite anyone. So far, alls well in those areas. I dont think Rory would be easy to train either, she is a blonde afterall (whiteface cinnamon) LOL. Good luck with training Chevy.
Budgies - Harry and Billy
Cinn GCC - Bailey
Blue Quaker - Malakai (Kai)
Cockatiel - Rhyly
Mum2rory
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies, 1 Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure, 1 Quaker , 1 Cockatiel (and 1 sadly missed Cockatiel who flew away Sept 24 2011. Miss you sweety)

Postby parrotlover » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:41 pm

I don't knwo if I'm going to get into the BIG TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN thing QUITE yet. i think she needs to mature a bit more. Lol for god sakes she can't even fly right the poor thing! She flies BACKWARDS!!! And everytime she does it she breaks atleast ONE or more of her tail feathers!!! She's a nervouse reck from my understanding! Poor thing... :shock:
parrotlover
Poicephalus

Postby Mum2rory » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:45 pm

Rory couldnt fly when I first got her, she was clipped by breeder. She has mastered the art now though, getting quite good at it I must say. But she walks backwards a lot, especially down back of couch to get to my shoulder. I am trying to get her to flight recall, just in case of any accidents. She will come when called and whistled to about 50% of the time - a work in progress.
Budgies - Harry and Billy
Cinn GCC - Bailey
Blue Quaker - Malakai (Kai)
Cockatiel - Rhyly
Mum2rory
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies, 1 Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure, 1 Quaker , 1 Cockatiel (and 1 sadly missed Cockatiel who flew away Sept 24 2011. Miss you sweety)

Postby coolhady13 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:17 am

parrotlover wrote:I don't knwo if I'm going to get into the BIG TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN thing QUITE yet. i think she needs to mature a bit more. Lol for god sakes she can't even fly right the poor thing! She flies BACKWARDS!!! And everytime she does it she breaks atleast ONE or more of her tail feathers!!! She's a nervouse reck from my understanding! Poor thing... :shock:

man that must be very funny :D ,please record a video of her flying backwards LOL :D ,

anyway i can see that your only problem is with flying , you can teach her many tricks that doesnt require any flying (targert ,wave,shake etc.) and dont work on flight recall until she can fly right :thumbsup:
coolhady13
Conure

Postby parrotlover » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:30 am

Yea the breeder had her clipped. I think I'm going to start today and get her started on Target Training. Ok so once she learns to bite/touch the tip of the stick can I start teaching her other things that day or should I let her take it easy for the rest of the day? Also what times should I train her? I heard that it's best to do it in the morning. :)
parrotlover
Poicephalus

Postby coolhady13 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:24 pm

parrotlover wrote:Yea the breeder had her clipped. I think I'm going to start today and get her started on Target Training. Ok so once she learns to bite/touch the tip of the stick can I start teaching her other things that day or should I let her take it easy for the rest of the day? Also what times should I train her? I heard that it's best to do it in the morning. :)

Well if i were you and its the first time i target train i would keep the whole day target training so that he get used to walking for the stick, dont rush tricks so that she doesnt get confused , and from my training with my cockatiel i agree that the best time to train is in the morning my cockatiel is always very excited in the morning , but i train my cockatiel 3 times or 4 times a day not 1 time in the morning only. Good Luck :) .
coolhady13
Conure

Postby parrotlover » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:06 pm

so I tryed it today. Well she only liked to naw and chew on the (chop)stick. But when she did just touch it she didn't even want the treat. It seemed like she didn't want the treat at all... She just wanted the the (chop)stick to bite at and chew on. Anyway for her to just nip at it/ touch it? :lol:
parrotlover
Poicephalus

Postby coolhady13 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:22 pm

parrotlover wrote:so I tryed it today. Well she only liked to naw and chew on the (chop)stick. But when she did just touch it she didn't even want the treat. It seemed like she didn't want the treat at all... She just wanted the the (chop)stick to bite at and chew on. Anyway for her to just nip at it/ touch it? :lol:

didnt i tell you that you will be wandering how to make her stop chewing the stick LOL :D , i had the same problem with my cockatiel , so here is how i solved it , first of all i never let him chew the stick or play with it so that he doesnt recognize it as a toy , second make sure that ur cockatiel wants the treat very much i used to use seeds as treat with my cockatiel and wasnt having good results now im using boiled corn as treat and he loves it very much so you can try using corn (raw or boiled both good) third thing to do is that when you give her the stick , put the very end of the stick to her beak so that you can remove the stick fast before she starts chewing then click and reward and thats how you will be targeting her after a while she will get it . anytime she tries to chew a little take the stick from her and dont reward .
all of this was Michael's tip of course
Michael wrote:Do not let the parrot attack, play with, or chew up the target stick. Not only will this ruin the training aid but it will also teach the parrot a behavior different from what we are trying to achieve. Use the distraction of the click upon touching the stick to catch your parrots attention. Immediately bring forth the treat while pulling the target stick away. If the parrot continues biting the stick too hard, you can click and reward when the parrot approaches the stick and is about to touch, but before the beak has actually clasped the tip of the stick.
:) :)
coolhady13
Conure

Return to Parrot Trick Training