Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot Training Perch Stand Questions

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Parrot Training Perch Stand Questions

Postby Cage Cleaner » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:38 pm

I guess this question would be for Michael:

I have a GCC and a Sun Conure. Which size Training Perch do you recommend for them? It does say on the site that Medium is for Conure, but I'm actually more focusing on the GCC, who is smaller. Also, which type of wood? Which would last longer? Do you have extra perch wood available to buy if/when it gets chewed through?

Also, would this work for getting the parrot to come down from a very high place? Very high place is relative, but I suppose I mean something around 12 feet or so.

Also, I have a Petco clicker currently, but am having a hard time with it as I find it hard to "click". It's fine when I use my thumb, but there is no way I can do it with any other finger (and I need to, if I am going to hold a treat and target stick in the same hand as well). Any chance you know if yours is easier to click?

Thanks
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrot Training Perch Stand Questions

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:46 pm

Small is fine for both. The Java are strongest but don't come in small enough a size. I can offer replacement wood for perches but haven't heard of a single one destroyed yet so I haven't bothered listing them. My original ones are still in good shape. You see unlike the ones in the cage, the training ones aren't used as much and the bird is focused on things other than destruction of perches.

You could use the training perch to get a parrot down from a high place by lifting it up but it is heavy and not practical. I have come up with a special parrot retrieval perch (two versions, 10ft and 25ft if I remember correctly) and it has saved me a few times already. At the end of this video you can see me using the bigger version of the two. If you are interested in this, contact me personally because it's not listed yet and I'm still working some things out for selling these. If you are planning to order Parrot Training Perches, then talk to me first in case you want multiple things as I can do a combined shipping discount.

I wouldn't rely on the parrot retrieval perch exclusively. I think good training is key and the training perches are the tool to use for working on it. However, sometimes the parrot is just tired/scared and won't fly down. When the place is impossible to reach as you saw in my video, this is the only way. However, the bird must still be tame and 100% on step up. Forget about it with an untame parrot. This is just useful for one that wants to come down but for whatever reason can't.

As for the clicker, it depends which kind of petco clicker. If it's the wide one that is almost square, yes mine is much easier. If it's the longer rectangular one, then it's about the same. You can see pictures of mine here for comparison. If you have the same kind as I offer but find it stiff, I suggest two things. First of all click it a lot of times (not around the animals) to loosen it up a bit. Secondly, exercise your finger by using different fingers to click it a few times here and there. I found it hard to click with the weaker fingers as well but now I'm so used to it that I don't think about it and can use any finger depending on the trick I'm training and how I need to hold it. If you want to be able to teach advanced tricks, it is inevitable that you must learn to do multiple things with each hand (like single handed clicker, target, and treat). If you have any other kind of clicker, then yeah it sux and get mine. It's included in the training perch kit and as a member of the forum I'd throw in some bonuses. So let me know by email (use the contact form on parrotwizard) which items you want and I'll make a custom invoice.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Cage Cleaner » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:29 pm

Hey I appreciate that, Michael. Give me about a month to get it all together. My parents are going to -KILLLL- me if too many parrot things start showing up at once.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby CrazzMc » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:13 am

Cage Cleaner wrote:Hey I appreciate that, Michael. Give me about a month to get it all together. My parents are going to -KILLLL- me if too many parrot things start showing up at once.

Haha thats how my dad feels right now I've been getting about 2 packages a week of parrot stuff from perches to food to toys. God how these parrot sites sell you things its amazing what they have :D
CrazzMc
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigar, Cockatiel
Flight: No

Return to Parrot Trick Training