Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My Grey is having problems training

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

My Grey is having problems training

Postby LQEnder » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a question, probably for Michael, but I suppose anyone can help. I'm fairly new to the bird world, but we were given a 8 year old African Grey, Rosie, a fow months ago, as her wner developed allergies to the dust. Rosie took months to "step up" and not bite (Which I supposed is to be expected after being rehomed). She has obviously bonded to me (much to my fiance's dismay). When I felt Rosie trusted me, I started trick training with turn around. She got it pretty quick, using almonds as a treat.

Starting a few months ago, she refuses to learn anything else. When I try to teach her something, she won't accept the treat. She will eat food out of her bowl or every out of my hand, but never when doing a trick. She takes it, and shakes her head throwing whatever the treat is. Its almost like she is too proud to do a trick for food.

She started out doing great, so I'm wondering if anyone knows why she may doing this, or anyway to start again. I've experimented with many kinds of nuts, seeds, fruits and millet spray, but the same thing ends up happening. Any suggestions?
-Chris

:gray: Rosie (African Grey)
:sun: D'Artagnan--Dart for short (Jenday conure)
:budgie: Lyra (Baby Budgie-hatched April 1st, 2012)
LQEnder
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot (Congo) 9 years (1 with us)
Jenday Conure 2-3 years
Flight: No

Re: My Grey is having problems training

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:11 pm

What about just targeting? If she is target trained, you can teach her another target based trick such as go through tube to teach her that other tricks exist. This is one of the problems with taking things "too slow" and lingering on a single trick that the bird sticks to only that one.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby LQEnder » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:19 pm

I'll try that. Thanks.
-Chris

:gray: Rosie (African Grey)
:sun: D'Artagnan--Dart for short (Jenday conure)
:budgie: Lyra (Baby Budgie-hatched April 1st, 2012)
LQEnder
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot (Congo) 9 years (1 with us)
Jenday Conure 2-3 years

Postby Naurthon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:35 pm

I've often noticed that Dante will throw things I try to offer him as treats. Lately, he has taken to just moving his head away and saying, "no", but before that he would shake his head and/or grab the treat and fling it away. The odd thing I noticed is that if I picked up the very same treat and put it in a foraging toy, he'd go right after it and eat it. I don't really understand the birdie psychology behind it, but he often prefers to feed himself treats.

Dante doesn't turn down treat when I'm training him, though. I only use safflower seeds as training treats. He loves them and they are small enough that I can give him quite a few without ruining his overall diet. Almonds may be too big to use as a treat, and their probably much denser in calories than regular bird food. Never mind that it takes a long time for them to be eaten. You might try safflower (not sunflower) seeds instead.
Nikko, Black Capped Conure :gcc: (hatched April 2008)
Maxwell, Senegal Parrot :senegal: (hatched 2004?)
Dante, Congo African Grey :gray: (hatched Nov 28, 2009)
Naurthon
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Black capped conure, Senegal parrot, Congo African grey

Return to Parrot Trick Training