Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Problem with wave :/ heeelp

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Problem with wave :/ heeelp

Postby Julianajara » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi guys! Is me again, since im starting now I still have many doubts. Well im teaching my ringneck "Wave" and he totally got the idea and he is doing it right BUT only when I put my finger near his belly, cuz I start teaching him using this plus miself waving. The problem is when I say "wave" waving he just dont do anything and gets nervous because he has no idea whats going on, he doesnt assossiate at all my wave and vocal command with the trick he is learning, and I dont know why, sinsi Im using this too from the beginning.
Pleeease guys what should I do? I really want him to associate that because I want him to wave from my shoulder, or from some distance of me.

Thankyou anyways :)
:irn:
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck
Flight: No

Re: Problem with wave :/ heeelp

Postby Polarn » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:27 pm

fade out the finger slowly, lets say he waves when you have your finger 1inch from his belly right now, then try increase it to 1,5, then 2 etc, just be patient and eventually he will figure the wave out from the que instead of it being a natural reaction to your finger. just dont try to fill the gab between an inch and 3fett instantly. and make sure to sue the same que every time. He will pick it up eventually.
Polarn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Julianajara » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:21 pm

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that this is another problem, I have already tried to take my finger away slowly, but he just pull it with his beak and feet when its not on the "right" place :/

Well ai will try again, but this time with lass space between my finger and him at each time...hope it will work :/
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Postby Julianajara » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:42 am

Guys you should see this :)

Ifollowed all your tips and FINALLY my IRN got wave properly!!
I did it puting my thinger further away each time, but this time, just a little bit each time, I think before I was going too fast. So in 15 minuts he got it!! :)

(the last session, when he gets he right cue)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhDLsQt- ... AAAAAAAAAA

(Already waing on my hand ^^)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXeXwiB43B0

Its really cute by the way. I will keep training wave so he gets perfect and dont forget.
ow he know targeting, fetching (and now he retrieves on my hand) and wave.
I will start introducing him the Aviator Harness next week and do the 3day-1week program that Michael teach us in trainedparrot.com ^^
what you guys think? :irn:
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Postby Polarn » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:31 am

great news! and I think both you and your little IRN learned alot from keep on working on the wave, you learned how to fade out a que for your bird, and your bird learned that a que is still a que no matter distance. basically a lot of the tricks you will teach your bird "requires" the same method of fading the que out, such as turning around, where you might have to run your hand around your bird in a big circle at first, then you make it smaller and smaller and then start fading it off to the side... nodding yes is the same as wave you will have to start close and then just fade out :)

I'm glad for you sticking with it and not givinf up!
Polarn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Postby Julianajara » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:13 am

Hehe thats, I gave him 2 days with no wave only making fetch better, and then when i went back to wave, was that, really reaally easy hehe, im glad too that I didnt abonded it hehe. :irn:
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Postby cml » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:11 am

Julianajara wrote:Hehe thats, I gave him 2 days with no wave only making fetch better, and then when i went back to wave, was that, really reaally easy hehe, im glad too that I didnt abonded it hehe. :irn:

See, a little patience pays off =)!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Return to Parrot Trick Training