Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Clicker

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Clicker

Postby Komodeno » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:03 pm

I'm currently training my parrots without the clicker.I just got one but I'm not really sure if i need to use it.I have read some books about trick training and there was written that the. Licker may actually slower the process if you wish the parrot to respond on verbal praises and treats.They were saying that casing out the clicker may confuse the bird.
What do you think.Shell I introduce the clicker or just continue verbally to parse my birds and give them the treats?
How do you train?Is the training faster with the clicker or without.
Last edited by Komodeno on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Komodeno
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: African Gray
Macaw
Goffin Cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Re: Clicker

Postby cml » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:31 pm

I find that using a clicker is a huge benefit. The parrot (and you ^^) know exactly when it did whats right and it will speed up the learning process. I would start using the clicker if I were you, but make sure to teach them that click=treat before using it for any actual training!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus
Flight: Yes

Re: Clicker

Postby Julianajara » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:27 pm

Yeah I agree. The clicker doesnt DO anything actually, i just MARK the exact moment of the behaviour you wannna reinforce. So is very usefull and its really helping me and my bird, without a clicker we would be taking much more time to get right anything. :irn:
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck
Flight: No

Return to Parrot Trick Training