Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New to forum need help with African grey

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

New to forum need help with African grey

Postby JordanXD95 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:03 pm

Basicaly my African grey is only 3 years old and I've had him about 2 and a half years he's fine with me doesn't really like the rest of the family but they don't really bothere with him much cause it's my bird I was just wondering does any one have advice on clicker training as he seems to refuses the food he just throws it only thing he really seems to eat are things I eat he's weird but when he's in the cage he would eat any thing I give him can any one give me some advice I've Tried monkeynuts peanut butter biscuits sunflower seeds banana chips he just doesn't want to eat out side of his cage what can I do ?
JordanXD95
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African grey
Flight: Yes

Re: New to forum need help with African grey

Postby GlassOnion » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:08 pm

I would slowly work on moving his bowls toward the cage door, then slowly move them to the outside of the cage. I'll also add that even if your family doesn't bother withhom, it's *very* important to socialize him to as many people and situations as possible, using the Aviator Harness outside.

A poorly socialized bird will have trouble adjusting to new environments and people and may take to plucking or aggression to others when he hits sexual maturity and decides you're his mate. Greys are notorious for being antisocial and just like a human child, you need to socialize him.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby JordanXD95 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:17 am

I get him out for like a few hours every night but I don't think he would like it out side as the area I live in is pretty nosie we I do move the cage around the house so he can see out side and diffent views my dad tried last night and he was ok he doest really like him but the bird seems to tolerates him thanks for the advice about the food bowls
JordanXD95
Parakeet

Postby GlassOnion » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:11 am

You need to take him outside in a carrier for vitamin D3 absorption. Greys are prone to calcium deficiency and natural sunlight is extremely important just like us humans. It takes very little effort but it's vital to his health.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby JordanXD95 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:04 pm

We do put him in the conservatory and he was born with a calcium deficancy so his claws are kinda weird on his feet but I defanityly will try out side I have a spare little carrier cage somewhere I'll try taking him out side. Thanks for the advice :gray:
JordanXD95
Parakeet

Return to Parrot Trick Training