Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Trimming Nails

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Trimming Nails

Postby Java » Sat May 29, 2010 5:26 pm

pchela wrote:We did have to use a dremel for Macaws and actually anything African Grey sized and larger at the store (for nails). We never did beaks though. People would ask us to and we always referred them to a vet for that.

When the Timneh I had for a while needed her beak corrected the vet had to use a dremel and I had to watch... it was awful. The poor bird looked terrified. In her case, it was necessary to avoid scissor beak but in a normal case, I don't see any reason at all to put a bird through that, even at the vets.

Wow I cannot imagine that. I would think the sound of the dremel would freak them out. I would never guess they would use a dremel, but i guess thy do use tools to perform surgeries every day, so I guess a dremel is not too bad.
Java
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Jenday Conure
Flight: No

Postby TheNzJessie » Mon May 31, 2010 1:00 am

i never clip my birds nails i always file, if the bird is given the right perches and toys and you take the time to look at there nails every day you can often determine if there a bit on the long side and file them before they need clipping. my birds always have natural perches (with the occasion stupid dowl perch) with back on them and toys they use with there . i ave never needed to use clippers on my late rainbow lorikeet my budgie or any of the birds i care for at a pet store i work at which has an african grey 2 cockatoos and a senegal. its my opinion and other people may still feel the need for clipping :) but i have never had to with proper care with toys and perches (bird can still need them clipped if they dont use them) its just about set up and making sure your birds are using the right toys and perches you have provided to keep there nails at an appropriate length
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Sellefane » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:15 pm