Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What parrots hate

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: What parrots hate

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun May 15, 2016 1:58 pm

liz wrote:My son has under taken the job of saving my cabinets with metal strips. Myrtle seemed to think they were chew toys. I now have what looks like an armored kitchen.

Oh an armored process, thats a great idea and would certainly stop it. I am using patience, and knowing that she will slow down in trying to find new things to chew on, when breeding season is over. If I ever lose that patience, I will be looking for someone like your son. Right now its only one parrot, so easy to be patient, if I end up later having two parrots doing this.....well....armor we go.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus
Flight: Yes

Postby galeriagila » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:43 pm

My parrot, who considers me his hen, hates... MY OL' MAN!
The parrot can't prove it but he's pretty sure that I and ol' man have something going on.
And of course, JEALOUSY, thy name is RICKEYBIRD.
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:36 am

:lol: Zoey used to attack my husband all the time and any chance she got. It took years but now she usually (and 'usually' IS the operative word here!) ignores him. She would, every now and then, perch on his shoulder but she bit him on the back of his neck two days ago... And it was a bad bite, not a terrible bite but a bad one nonetheless. But, as he can't see the back of his neck, I lied and told him it wasn't bad at all. I put some ice on it and stopped the little bleeding before he even realized it was happening so he believed me (gotta defend my sweetie, you know?)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:29 pm

:lol: :P :) :?
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby liz » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:19 am

Parrots hate being alone. Alone is not natural for them. Mine don't have to worry about that. There is always a human in the house. There are so many other critters here that they don't feel alone.

When I go to the mail box and come back everything in the house reacts as if I have been gone for a month. The dogs meet me at the door barking for attention and Myrtle lands on my shoulder to tell me I was gone too long.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:10 am

:lol: Yes, mine do too! And it always gives me such a great feeling! And, yes, you are right, nothing a parrot hates more than been alone.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:23 am

The first thing I hear is one lonely squawky call for "GAAAAAAIL!" Like this... :(

http://vid1376.photobucket.com/albums/a ... drcvho.mp4
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:05 am

"Gail! Gail! Gail!" :lol: He's like: "I see you there - can't you see I want you to come HERE?!"
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby galeriagila » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:29 pm

He must think I am very stupid. Surely I'm not defying his demands... so I must be a very dumb bird!
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby liz » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:14 pm

seagoatdeb wrote:
liz wrote:My son has under taken the job of saving my cabinets with metal strips. Myrtle seemed to think they were chew toys. I now have what looks like an armored kitchen.

Oh an armored process, thats a great idea and would certainly stop it. I am using patience, and knowing that she will slow down in trying to find new things to chew on, when breeding season is over. If I ever lose that patience, I will be looking for someone like your son. Right now its only one parrot, so easy to be patient, if I end up later having two parrots doing this.....well....armor we go.

The metal strips are Pajarita's idea.
It is getting expensive though.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care