Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Leg bands...how to "decode"

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Leg bands...how to "decode"

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:00 am

I do wish you good luck on this because old bands are usually quite untraceable. For one thing, there is no national registry because each US state has its own rules as to what kind of bird requires them and how they are supposed to read. But, for another and in my own personal experience, breeders, for some particular reason unknown to me, don't seem to 'last' many years. Even huge birdmills seem to disappear over time... I remember years ago when a Florida breeder put out over 400 pairs for auction (and that was not even the total amount of birds she kept!) because of divorce (needed to split the 'assets'). Epidemics in the aviaries are common and, as they wipe out the birds, they also wipe out the breeders. And small breeders go out of business all the time - family situation changes, they need to move, breeding stock dies and is not replaced, etc. I know of a couple of small breeders (the only ones I know and not personally but from regular seasonal postings on CL - which I flag :D ) that quit because of Covid - and I also know of another couple of breeders that used to breed parrotlets that ended up with so many 'returns' that decided to stop doing it. And then there are the ones that started because they loved birds and realized they were doing them a huge disservice by breeding for the trade and went into rescue, instead. It doesn't seem to be a 'steady' industry - thankfully for the poor birds!

But, if you don't mind my asking, why do you want to know the name of the breeder? It's not as if it's going to tell you anything about the bird...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Sinegan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:12 pm

So I found the breeder who is no longer in business.

Colleen Ciphery was the breeder at CHC in Arnprior Ontario

I am very happy I know where Sinegan is from and when he was born.
Sinegan
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot and Budgies

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:03 am

Congrats! Did you happen to ask why she is no longer breeding? I would be curious...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Sinegan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:41 pm

No because the email addresses were not valid anymore and when I did a 411.ca I only found her brother-in-law who has not spoken to her in over 10 years and did not have her number so I was not able to speak to her.
Sinegan
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot and Budgies

Postby Pajarita » Sat May 01, 2021 8:31 am

Oh, geez! Two relatives not speaking for over 10 years... what a terrible thing to happen!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care