Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Leg bands...how to "decode"

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Leg bands...how to "decode"

Postby Natacha » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:26 pm

lightweight wrote:I am late to this discussion but very interested in finding out Bella's (Senegal) age. Unfortunately, her band is not like everyone else's. Hers is a closed band that only says RH 429.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Does anyone have contact info for the person who does the yahoo group. I tried to join but because my yahoo mail is bouncing it won't let me even though I put in my regular email address.

I may have traced the RH to RH Aviary in Richmond Hill. His name was Peter Mendonca and he was a hobby breeder but his email and phone number are no longer in service. May nopt be him but if it were, how would I contact someone that is no longer breeding???

Thanks in advance...

Well, since the phone number and email are no longer in service, I'm not sure what else you can do to contact the person directly.
Post on other different forums quite your query; maybe someone there will be able to help. Maybe someone here might as well, but I would still post elsewhere, as you will have more chance about reaching someone who might know about the band.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby lightweight » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:48 pm

I posted an ad on kijiji and got 3 responses. Two thought it was the same guy. One is an aviary who gets baby birds from him with just his initials and the number so sounds like it could be the guy. I called and left a message for him yesterday but no word yet so fingers crossed it's him or I get to start all over again!

As a sidenote, I don't know why I was so nervous around her before! Bella is a very sweet bird (to people anyways) and LOVES the attention!
lightweight
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Budgies

Postby marlydogg » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi there,
My bird was purchased from a guy in Richmond Hill. I think it was Peter Mendonca. My bird also has RH on his leg band. I need to get in touch with him as I am taking my parrot with me to the USA and I need information and a receipt of purchase for my bird. If anyone has any information on how to reach him I would really appreciate it.
marlydogg
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot
Flight: No

Postby HyperD » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:09 pm

try:

Peter Mendonca (905) 508-1423 email: rha@sympatico.ca

http://www.parrotpages.com/info/Breeder.htm
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby lightweight » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:30 am

marlydogg wrote:Hi there,
My bird was purchased from a guy in Richmond Hill. I think it was Peter Mendonca. My bird also has RH on his leg band. I need to get in touch with him as I am taking my parrot with me to the USA and I need information and a receipt of purchase for my bird. If anyone has any information on how to reach him I would really appreciate it.

I tied contacting him...but nothing worked and turns out he wasn't the breeder anyways. My legband was RH 249. That was it. Is yours similar. If so it could be Roger Horen who is a breeder who sells a lot of birds to PJ's. Could this be the same breeder possibly? What makes you think it's Peter? Did you buy it from the breeder directly or just someone selling the bird? Let me know if your bird's legband is similar to mine and I can PM you his phone number...I should still have it :)
lightweight
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Budgies

Postby captwest » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:46 pm

All this talk of leg bands has me checking on a long time pet YN amazon, her band 58c 3308 is a USDA leg band that means she was quarantined in a USDA run quarantine station in Miami (the 58C part) other than that it seems impossible to get more info than that from the fed/gov. if anyone knows how to find more info please let me know, thanks Richard PS i guess the part about the lady handfeeding her as a baby was a bunch of BS, you never know about rescue birds, but i quess that was covered in the forum breeder/rescue
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels

Postby socal_sarah » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:05 pm

Trolled this thread from the depths of Google search while trying to figure out what my new Sennie's leg band means. His is just a silver colored band that says WA EDW 94 (sideways) 230. Thoughts? I'm going to ask that guy on the Yahoo forum posted too...
socal_sarah
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: African Senegal Parrot

Postby Sinegan » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Hello,

I realize this post is 11 years old but it is the only post that google found which has CHC as a breeder.

I just adopted a Senegal Parrot and although the second owner had him for two years and told me that the previous owner had him for 8 years, the math does not add up.

Sinegan has a Silver leg band and along the ring I see CHC and 005. Perpendicular to the ring, I see 06 and ONT.

So from what I gather Sinegan was born in 2005 and was the 6th hatchling. If you have see this post and still have the email address of CHC breeder I'd really appreciate it. My guess is that CHC is no longer breeding birds or has changed the ring code.

Thank you!
Sinegan
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot and Budgies

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:20 am

Hi, Sinegan, welcome to the forum. You have it backwards, the perpendicular numbers are always the two last digits of the year the bird was born so he was born in 2006 and not 2005 (making him 15 years old - but it doesn't mean the previous owner was lying, Sinegan had, most likely, another owner prior the two you know about). His individual ID is the 05 and the breeder is CHC which, most likely, is a breeder that operated out of Ontario, in Canada.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Sinegan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:20 pm

Thank you Parajita,

His leg band is exactly configured like this one http://www.parrotscanada.com/choosing/c ... rbird.html so I contacted that website since they might know who CHC is. I will report back when I discover the breeder.

Cheers!
Sinegan
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot and Budgies

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care